Pekin Duck Club!

@ Miss Lydia and @JadeComputerGal I need you!!!!! OK so Lily has been laying her eggs in her straw bin/bed, I never intended it to be a nest and it looked like she was going to make one but never did. She's laid an egg a day so 9 or 10. I cracked 3 open to check fertility and nothing but I've left the eggs there bc I don't know what to do with them really. The last two days since its been pouring down rain they have only been outside very little so they've been in their room a lot. Every time I check on them, she's in her nest laying on the eggs. I get home from work tonight and she is in her nestnest, JoJo in his water tub as usual. He loves his water tub, he sleeps in it if I let him anyhow there are two eggs and yolk broke open by his tub. There were 6 under her earlier now 4. One yolk was completely perfect still. I don't know who did it. Of course I think JoJo bc he keeps going over and yelling at her to get out of her nest. My first thought was to separate them but after two hours of separating then changing my mind, I decided not to separate them. Is she broody? Or whatever, I'm not exactly sure what it means. Should I separate them. Should I get another girl still? What is happening? Its too much! Lol to top it off, my dh found 2 big furry spiders and killed them. I really don't think their poisonous but will they hurt my ducks? I just need someone to come help me for a week maybe a month. Think about it! But seriously, ***? :he

Last edited:
Oh and I said she never built a nest but obviously she did. About 2 days ago but it wasn't all neat n nice. When I came home last note, she had her nest done, all circular and round edges. Pretty impressive actually

I have a question. One of my ducks had its first egg, it's not in a nest or anything it's just randomly layed in their house, and non of the ducks seem to even care about it. We really want babies. Should we leave this egg?

I have a question. One of my ducks had its first egg, it's not in a nest or anything it's just randomly layed in their house, and non of the ducks seem to even care about it. We really want babies. Should we leave this egg?

If you have Pekins, it is very rare for them to hatch their eggs so if you want babies I would incubate it.

@ Miss Lydia and @JadeComputerGal I need you!!!!! OK so Lily has been laying her eggs in her straw bin/bed, I never intended it to be a nest and it looked like she was going to make one but never did. She's laid an egg a day so 9 or 10. I cracked 3 open to check fertility and nothing but I've left the eggs there bc I don't know what to do with them really. The last two days since its been pouring down rain they have only been outside very little so they've been in their room a lot. Every time I check on them, she's in her nest laying on the eggs. I get home from work tonight and she is in her nestnest, JoJo in his water tub as usual. He loves his water tub, he sleeps in it if I let him anyhow there are two eggs and yolk broke open by his tub. There were 6 under her earlier now 4. One yolk was completely perfect still. I don't know who did it. Of course I think JoJo bc he keeps going over and yelling at her to get out of her nest. My first thought was to separate them but after two hours of separating then changing my mind, I decided not to separate them. Is she broody? Or whatever, I'm not exactly sure what it means. Should I separate them. Should I get another girl still? What is happening? Its too much! Lol to top it off, my dh found 2 big furry spiders and killed them. I really don't think their poisonous but will they hurt my ducks? I just need someone to come help me for a week maybe a month. Think about it! But seriously, ***?
he.gif

It certainly sounds like she's broody. What are her conditions like? Maybe she's setting on a nest for lack of something better to do. I'm surprised you're not finding any fertile eggs with as much mating as you say they've been doing. That makes me wonder about JoJo's fertility. Did Charlie ever have any fertile eggs?

I think I'd take them out and keep taking them out, but I'd probably open them just out of curiosity before I disposed of them to see if any of them are fertile. It won't accomplish anything for her to set on infertile eggs, and maybe she'd get up and socialize more with JoJo. Why are you considering separating them?

About the spiders, do you mean will it hurt the ducks if the spiders bite them or if the ducks eat them?

Ducks don't pay attention to one egg. They make a clutch of whatever number they're satisfied with before they decide to set on them. That usually means at least 6 eggs, but I've had the numbers go as high as 16-18 before they decided to go broody, and not all ducks go broody regardless how many eggs they have.

It certainly sounds like she's broody. What are her conditions like? Maybe she's setting on a nest for lack of something better to do. I'm surprised you're not finding any fertile eggs with as much mating as you say they've been doing. That makes me wonder about JoJo's fertility. Did Charlie ever have any fertile eggs?

I think I'd take them out and keep taking them out, but I'd probably open them just out of curiosity before I disposed of them to see if any of them are fertile. It won't accomplish anything for her to set on infertile eggs, and maybe she'd get up and socialize more with JoJo. Why are you considering separating them?

About the spiders, do you mean will it hurt the ducks if the spiders bite them or if the ducks eat them?

Charlie never layed an egg and they never mated. I think they were still too young. And JoJo and lily haven't been mating too much lately from what I can see. They only mate in the tub or outside in the pool. They haven't been out too much lately bc its been pouring but, yesterday when they were out in their pool and new neighbors came to see them, JoJo of course had to give them a show.
The reason I was considering separating them is bc I thought JoJo was breaking open her eggs. I mean, I've only had Lily for almost 2 wks. Someone said it could take a week or more to see fertile eggs so not to worry.
And with the spiders, I wanted to know if they could hurt them at all. By the ducks eating them or being bit by them.
Ryleigh just woke up, I'm finishing my coffee then me and her are going to take care of the ducks this morning. I'm running a little behind schedule this morning!

Oh her conditions, she's on the nest the majority of the time, but when its time to outside she's ready and when mealies or treats come she jumps up. She's not mean or anything. Maybe it is boredom. I wish I knew

So I know eggs are best preserved unwashed, but the duck eggs get quite dirty sometimes.
How do you wash your eating eggs?
And all of the ducks eggs smell awful when wet.

So I know eggs are best preserved unwashed, but the duck eggs get quite dirty sometimes.
How do you wash your eating eggs?
And all of the ducks eggs smell awful when wet.
If I am going to use the eggs right them for baking or cooking I wash them under cold water to get the dirt and poop off. I use a wash cloth if extremely dirty. give them a good scrub.

Back
Top Bottom