Pekin Egg bleeding?

Erica3600

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
This is my first time incubating eggs. These are pekin ducklings.
I’ve done a ton or research. It’s day 29 and these babies have pipped last night on day 28. On one of the eggs I’ve noticed a red clot of blood, is this normal? It is not bleeding, I just see the spot and it’s making me nervous. Humidity is at 70% and heat is at 99 degrees. Babies are chirping and moving around. I’ve heard after 48 hours of pipping, you may need to intervene. So I still have another day, but I can’t help but worry.

Attachments

• 64B34E38-5002-4FDB-8606-11DAA8E49D3F.jpeg
    64B34E38-5002-4FDB-8606-11DAA8E49D3F.jpeg
    734.2 KB · Views: 29
It's probably fine we've hatched chicken eggs multiple times now and so far a little blood on the egg shell seems to be normal. If the egg dries out or the duckling seems stuck you may need to mist it with clean water and possibly pick away a few small pieces of shell.

I’ve done a ton or research. It’s day 29 and these babies have pipped last night on day 28. On one of the eggs I’ve noticed a red clot of blood, is this normal? It is not bleeding, I just see the spot and it’s making me nervous. Humidity is at 70% and heat is at 99 degrees. Babies are chirping and moving around. I’ve heard after 48 hours of pipping, you may need to intervene. So I still have another day, but I can’t help but worry.
Ducklings do have blood veins within the egg shell so it's probably just from the duckling shifting during the hatching process

Did you pick some of that shell off?
It looks like you have.

It's probably fine we've hatched chicken eggs multiple times now and so far a little blood on the egg shell seems to be normal. If the egg dries out or the duckling seems stuck you may need to mist it with clean water and possibly pick away a few small pieces of shell.
I don't recommend misting with water. That won't do anything but wick moisture away from the egg and chill the duckling.

since there is a lot of exposed membrane you may want to go ahead and moisten that exposed membrane with some coconut oil or Vaseline.

I don't see enough blood there that it looks like it is in danger.
But as long as things are progressing I would not Chip away anymore shell or you will be in for a full assist.

At this point the only thing I would do is maybe moisten that membrane so it doesn't dry up and stick to the bird.
It needs to be able to turn to zip, with too much shell removed it cannot do that properly and things start to dry up.
Ducks are very slowwww hatching.
Give it time!

Last edited:
I've never heard of using oil or vaseline but those do sound like better options than water now that I think about it...though wouldn't the oil coat the fuzz and keep the duckling from drying out properly? Just be as hands off as possible the humidity in the incubator should keep it moist and your duckling will probably be just fine

I've never heard of using oil or vaseline but those do sound like better options than water now that I think about it...though wouldn't the oil coat the fuzz and keep the duckling from drying out properly? Just be as hands off as possible the humidity in the incubator should keep it moist and your duckling will probably be just fine
Welcome to BYC!
No, it keeps the membrane moist longer. If you only put it on the membrane, it doesn't affect the duckling's down at all.

@Erica3600 , Welcome To BYC!
I agree with Shaw, it looks like you picked some off. Don't do that, it exposes more membrane that will dry out, and causes it to bleed as yours did.
It will be ok, but don't touch it anymore. It's going to have a harder time hatching on its own now because it won't be able to twist to zip as easily.
Just don't touch it and hope it does ok.
With ducks you need to wait longer than 48 hours in most cases, they're very slow but very strong and efficient hatchers. They very rarely need help.

Back
Top Bottom