Pekin girl's bill spotting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by daidyducks, Jul 22, 2011.

1. daidyducks

daidyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    My bby girl has been starting to get black spots on her bill and her feet, I have read that it could be fungal or just developing before laying. She hasn't layed yet, she's about 5 months old. So can it be spotting due to laying or could it be fungal from digging in mud and her dirty pool?
    I also have a drake but there seems to be no spotting on him!

Can you guys please help, I'm extremely concerned.

Thanks
    Xox

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I doubt it's anything dangerous. Can you post a pic? She should be laying soon, so that is most likely it.

3. daidyducks

daidyducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Ontario,CA
    This is how her bill is, I haven't gotten the chance to take her feet. But I do hope shes okay!!

[​IMG]

4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Looks pretty normal. As long as there is no change is texture, no soft spots, no raised sections, it is most likely just a coloring thing and not disease. Just keep an eye on her.

5. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Our free range female pekin as some of these, the males bill is super clean. I never reallt thought to worry about she's always been active, healthy, eating, drinking all that so I assume its not effecting her [​IMG] our mallards don't have any but they have darker bills so maybe they do too.

Our male pekin is kind of a wannabe girl, he cleans himself more then the others and he sure keeps those feathers nice and clean HA!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by