Pekin in mourning?!?!

crazyetheredges

Hatching
Nov 15, 2016
Alberton South Africa
Hello all. We had two pekin raised together from birth and 8 austrolorps. A few days ago a dog claimed our male pekin and two austrolorps. Since this we did get our female pekin a similar aged female friend but now whenever the pekin hears us she quacks uncharacteristically and bobs her head dropping it to the right side of her body and straight up again while ruffling her head feathers and slightly beating her wings. She has also started pulling down from back and under wings as well.
Could she be in distress or is something wrong with her? She never exhibited any behavior like this before this incident. She seems unharmed other than this. Should we get another friend for her? Maybe a drake?

Welcome to the BYC flock! I have never seen this kind of behavior before, but i know parrots will pull their feathers out when their friend or owner leaves them for a long time to kind of say, "hey this is what you put me through"
Birds are social flock creatures and don't like change. She will most likely get over it, but give her a while and spend time with her. Don't change things (like redesign their pen, or surroundings, stuff like that) until she feels better. Does she not like her new friend?

Hope i helped, and i hope your duck feels better!

Thanks! She seems quite unaffected by the new friend and there is little we can do to redesign haha. They are completely free in the back garden and sleep in the yard under the security light. I hope she gets past it. I took a video of what she does but can't figure out how to upload

Last edited:
Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us! But I am sorry to hear about your Pekin!
hugs.gif
As @Fluffers said, with some time, your duck should get over it. I hope you enjoy BYC, best wishes!
smile.png

Thank you! Glad to be here!
**update**
We went out to check on Bonnie tonight and she was still having the same behavior. She made her way to my wife and sat with her for a few minutes. When she was done telling her side of the story as it seemed she got up and walked away. She has been quiet this evening so maybe she is just lonely and wanted attention. Now then should we get a drake at some point or just let our ladies enjoy stress free living?

Thanks! She seems quite unaffected by the new friend and there is little we can do to redesign haha. They are completely free in the back garden and sleep in the yard under the security light. I hope she gets past it. I took a video of what she does but can't figure out how to upload
Good! In the future to prevent predator attacks, is the whole yard fenced in? Where you live are there weasels, like minks and martins? Do you know of any animals like raccoons that will come in and attack?

Thank you! Glad to be here!
**update**
We went out to check on Bonnie tonight and she was still having the same behavior. She made her way to my wife and sat with her for a few minutes. When she was done telling her side of the story as it seemed she got up and walked away. She has been quiet this evening so maybe she is just lonely and wanted attention. Now then should we get a drake at some point or just let our ladies enjoy stress free living?
Yes, she might just need to vent every once in a while to make herself feel better
smile.png
If you think she needs more attention, you could get her a drake. Some drakes are different that others, their first 1 or 2 years they can be aggressive to the females, (and sometimes they don't take to kindly to the owner at first too, i know by experience, because they want to protect the females, but they will learn you are no threat) they usually mellow out within 2 years or so. But if you think those 2 can handle him, they might be happy. I recommend getting one about the same age as the both of them. But that there is the tricky part, sometimes they have stronger immune systems, and your girls may get sick from something he is carrying (or he might get sick from the girls, if their immune system is better). So if you want one their age, be sure he is healthy and not a disease carrier. I recommend one their age because they will sometimes hurt the youngest, weakest, or smallest one. If he was younger that them, he would be considered the runt to them (most likely) Unless, he moves his way up the pecking order.

You may also want to post your questions at the "Duck thread," - just put that in search box and it will come up. Duck people are probably more experienced with this type of situation and may have other strategies to deal with it.

Good! In the future to prevent predator attacks, is the whole yard fenced in? Where you live are there weasels, like minks and martins? Do you know of any animals like raccoons that will come in

This attack came from a rescue dog we were fostering. We live in South Africa so no raccoons around here haha. We are in a city area so predators are very limited. We tried the coop but the ducks refused it and were quite discontent. Even our chickens only use a large wooden crate vs the nice coop with roosts for them. Silly chickens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom