Pekin with bumblefoot

tatswell

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
Southern New England
Hi.
My girl, peaches, has bumblefoot. I think she may have cut it open around the stream where it is very rocky.
I've read quite a few threads on treating it and cutting it open.
I have tried to cut around the scab to lift it out but it just lifts up the edges. Do I make an incision all the through the scab? How deep?
It is about the size of a grape and as firm as a grape.

Hi.
My girl, peaches, has bumblefoot. I think she may have cut it open around the stream where it is very rocky.
I've read quite a few threads on treating it and cutting it open.
I have tried to cut around the scab to lift it out but it just lifts up the edges. Do I make an incision all the through the scab? How deep?
It is about the size of a grape and as firm as a grape.
Please post pix of what you're working with.

As big as a grape, wow, that's bigger than I've seen or dealt with. I've never had one of my ducks have bumble foot, but had to remove the scab off of several of my chickens feet. It's best to try to lift the scab, treat the infection, and then bandage it so the wound remains clean and out of reach of bacteria. Also, make sure whatever you're using to lift the scab has been properly disinfected to prevent further infection. I've always used a pin to lift the scab, but they were only about the size of chocolate chips. Hope this was at least a little helpful.

Back
Top Bottom