Pekin with bumblefoot

I have duck who lives diapered indoors because she hatched "disabled" and walks differently. I assume she puts her weight on different parts of her feet than normal and so she wears the skin down and is extremely prone to bumblefoot.

I decided to get her those neoprene shoes for ducks (from http://crazykfarm.mybigcommerce.com/birdy-bootie-hand-made-in-the-usa/ ), as it would help heal and prevent her bumblefoot. Slipping her shoes on is much easier than having to bandage her feet all the time. They work great, and she hasn't caught it while wearing them. Although she currently has bumblefoot because there was a time period where I didn't put on her shoes for awhile. Anyway, I really recommend them! The straps stop her from pulling them off. It also helps cushion her feet while she's walking on the bumbles.

Pekins and larger breeds also tend to be more susceptible to bumblefoot, so if it were me I'd consider it.

Anyway, some people are lucky and over time with antibiotics and constant soaks etc are able to fight the infection from the outside, but I'd say the majority of the time that doesn't work and you need to cut into their feet and scoop out the gunk. It's not fun, and your poor ducky won't be happy with you while you're doing it, but afterwards it makes them much more comfortable.

Good luck!

I have those booties for my hens some of them have had bumble. They really do help. We’d love to see a pic of your duck she sounds much loved. Thanks for the recommendation. Mine came from Crazy K too.

We’d love to see a pic of your duck she sounds much loved.

She is very loved, and spoiled. Here's a pic of her sporting her diaper and neoprene shoes (she's also in my profile pic)
20180928_193509.jpg

Back
Top Bottom