Okay awesome!!! I’m finally feeling hopeful about this situation. My neighbor said “ducks just don’t make it long around here” and shrugged it off. I absolutely couldn’t accept this and needed someone with a more positive outlook.

They are quite skittish ever since their (i’m assuming) sibling was killed, but I will go do my best to get them up to my garage. Wish me luck.
I did notice his feathers seemed drenched, so I brought him a kiddy pool full of fresh water, let him clean up, then dried him off really well with a towel. I also made him a little shelter by the lake that he seemed to enjoy, so I will bring that up to my house as well.
And I will up his antibiotics as well!

I will do everything I can to ensure he makes it through the night and look forward to hearing what you come up with!!!

Thank you so much again for the help and advice, this experience has been very overwhelming for me. You’re the best.
I honestly have just been calling veterinary offices. I feel silly, but I honestly had no idea there were places like this that I could call. I will get in touch with them first thing in the morning. Thank you thank you thank you. I also responded to your other message, but I’m not sure I replied correctly. Not used to the forum formats.

Ducks are amazingly resilient creatures, and you've made it very clear through your posts you are a very caring person, that has a strong drive to help these animals. With TLC, and time, I believe we can get these birds back into good shape.

If you have a fishing net of sorts, you may try using that to catch them. Once you get them settled in their new area, we can let them stabilize a bit, then work on taking care of any serious problems that are currently affecting them, and also correct some nutritional problems that I'm sure are going as well until you can find a long-time caregiver.

Ducks are amazingly resilient creatures, and you've made it very clear through your posts you are a very caring person, that has a strong drive to help these animals. With TLC, and time, I believe we can get these birds back into good shape.

If you have a fishing net of sorts, you may try using that to catch them. Once you get them settled in their new area, we can let them stabilize a bit, then work on taking care of any serious problems that are currently affecting them, and also correct some nutritional problems that I'm sure are going as well until you can find a long-time caregiver.
Well I was able to get them up to my garage...but he is officially seizing pretty bad (I was very gentle so I know it isn’t from fear.) He can’t even stand without falling over at all anymore. I called the only emergency vet that we have and they said they do not care for ducks... I am so afraid he will not make it through the night.

Well I was able to get them up to my garage...but he is officially seizing pretty bad (I was very gentle so I know it isn’t from fear.) He can’t even stand without falling over at all anymore. I called the only emergency vet that we have and they said they do not care for ducks... I am so afraid he will not make it through the night.

Do you have any advice on a good makeshift enclosure? He is just walking around falling on the concrete. It’s horrible.

Do you have any advice on a good makeshift enclosure? He is just walking around falling on the concrete. It’s horrible.
Okay so sorry to be such a bother, but I think I’ve got a sweet little set up for them to hunker down in tonight! I think we may be dealing with a case of botulism here. I am definitely not equipped to give him the full care he deserves, so here’s hoping we are able to find the perfect place for them. Until then, he is dry, warm, sheltered, fed and watered. And I will continue to do everything I can for him. Will update in the morning!

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. How is she doing this morning? For a setup, you could use a large kiddie pool lined with towels or straw for traction, and welded wire around the perimeter to ensure he doesn't get out.

Could you post a few pictures of him? If he's pooped, could you post a picture of that too? Is he eating/ or drinking at all?

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. How is she doing this morning? For a setup, you could use a large kiddie pool lined with towels or straw for traction, and welded wire around the perimeter to ensure he doesn't get out.

Could you post a few pictures of him? If he's pooped, could you post a picture of that too? Is he eating/ or drinking at all?
It’s okay! Goodmorning and thanks for getting back to me! I rigged up something that seemed to work. He looks much better this morning!!! It’s weird it seems to get worse at night. I’m not sure if he ate or not, but i’m about to go see if I can get him to eat now. And I will be back shortly with pics.

It’s okay! Goodmorning and thanks for getting back to me! I rigged up something that seemed to work. He looks much better this morning!!! It’s weird it seems to get worse at night. I’m not sure if he ate or not, but i’m about to go see if I can get him to eat now. And I will be back shortly with pics.

okay I was able to get him to eat a little bit and take his antibiotics. His poops are definitely not normal, but that’s to be expected. What are the realities of finding them a new better home? Is that usually a difficult task with ducks? Here are some pics! He’s looking good this morning!

Attachments

• FC4EFB75-6B1C-4D02-A92C-EC64C541BFD1.jpeg
    FC4EFB75-6B1C-4D02-A92C-EC64C541BFD1.jpeg
    608.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 9553CCD4-40BF-4B25-8E90-B34C1BE0439A.jpeg
    9553CCD4-40BF-4B25-8E90-B34C1BE0439A.jpeg
    485.7 KB · Views: 11
Hello! I live in a residential neighborhood with a decent sized lake in the backyard. Well someone decided it was a good idea to dump 3 Peking ducks with clipped wings in the lake to fend for themselves. I enjoy sitting on the dock and feeding the fish, so naturally they took to me. I have absolutely no knowledge on how to care for ducks, but i’m doing my best. About a week ago, I found that one had been attacked and killed by an unknown predator, so I’m assuming depression has aided in his rapid decline. It all started with a foamy eye, which I researched and begin cleaning with saline solution and administering vetRx. His eye seemed to be clearing up but he quickly began to have many other strange symptoms. He is stumbling around and can’t seem to keep his balance, standing in strange positions, losing feathers, picking at his skin, panting, sneezing, and just generally unwell. A few days ago I read fish amoxicillin twice a day could be helpful, so I have been administering that. Please do not judge me if I am doing something wrong, I am doing my best to help him. I’m a single mother with limited knowledge and funds so any advice would be so very appreciated. Also, he is eating, but not as much as he used to. And the other duck seems depressed, but overall very healthy. I’m afraid he doesn’t have much time left.
I cannot stand to see him suffering. Thank you in advance.
Make sure he/she is eating. I lost a lemon a few months ago with almost the exact same symptoms. Couldn’t get ahold of a vet in time. She had discolored feathers, foamy eyes, lost all balance, and developed a rash on her back between her wings. Unfortunately she didn’t last more than a week. Maybe see if you have any local animal sanctuaries. In my area there is a place that takes wounded and sick animals of all types, heals them, and gives them a great home. Unfortunately I didn’t know it existed until I toured it a few days ago. Wish I had better advice

Back
Top Bottom