pellets vs ground vs whole grain feed

beelovin

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 26, 2010
Hey all, I am just getting started with my chicken process and I have been researching different feeds available...Does anyone have any insight into the different nutritional benefits of pellets vs ground feed vs whole grain? From my own experience, I would naturally lead toward whole grain since it seems the most "wholesome" but it isn't really popular with the feed companies. I am also not interested in GMO's so I suppose I'd have to get organic feed to ensure I am not supporting GMO products. Lastly, what is the deal with soy free? I thought soy was good for us, but now that I am doing some research scientists have linked some health problems with soy consumption. Any thoughts??

I buy only local grown barley, wheat, oats, and corn for my chickens. This is just about all they need except for the treats, table scraps, and free ranging. Don't buy pellet food for your chickens. It doesn't even get processed. It turns to liquid and passes right through them and ends up on the coup floor in a short amount of time. At least the whole grain has time to be digested.

I mix barley, oats and corn in equal parts. Then add some wheat and your in business. Also BOSS is a nice supplement for them and makes their feathers very healthy.

Quote:
Hi,
I sprout some whole grains.. I like the idea of complete living food, trying to mimic nature. I do grind some of the grains I use, and also offer a dry ground complete mix of the grains. Lets just say it is a major commitment of time and energy. But worth it to me.

I would say grinding only has two positives.
1. You can get the birds to eat ever thing and not just pick out what they like.
2. You can just dump it in a feeder, so convenience sake..

Yes Organic grains will be non GMO.. The two biggies in the GMO world are soy and corn. I use everything organic but the BOSS because I can not find organic BOSS that does not cost a fortune.

Soy..... Lots and lots of opinion on it. Soy is the #1 protein source in animal feeds in America.. Also soy is added to many processed human foods... Some people such as my self are opposed to the mono cropping practices of corn and soy, and feel we get way to much of it in our diets, and that is why we choose to not use it. Some have concerns that Soy causes hormonal imbalances and is bad because of that.. (Keep in mind Asian cultures have been consuming soy for a long time, but that soy is generally FERMENTED.)

Instead of Soy I use field peas... They were popular as a feed stuff in days gone by....

So I personally am soy free...

ON

Thanks for the info! I see you are in WI, I grew up in Appleton- My family still lives there and I visit often. Are you mixing your own feed entirely? Any thoughts on pellets? Is Organic feed taking off in WI? I am in a little bubble here on the west coast and don't really have a feeling for the general opinion of folks raising chickens in your neck of the woods. Also, I have seen a few postings about Boss what is it?

welcome-byc.gif

Correct; soy has been used in the orient for a long long time: in small quantities and only after going through a fermentation process, like soy sauce or miso. It has only been in recent years that any amout of it has been incorporated into the diet otherwise. One reason is "western lust"; wanting to look like voluptuous movie actresses that are well endowed. Soy is very better high in a certain type of estrogen. Basically; some Asian girls have been consuming mass amout to increase their bust size...
There is also the economic aspects of it that take you down a rabbit trail I will not get into here.

Hi I'm with you.My gals eat whole grain, organic.I can't find any in the feed stores, so I purchase at pilgram market.Its a health food store.Don't know if its a lot of money.Most run about .99 a pound.I feed them oat groots,3 diffrent kinds of wheat.millet seeds,barley,etc.about 8 diffrent kinds.Also get freerange 4 hrs. or so daily.kitchen scraps.,Good luck with your chicks.

Quote:
I have been feeding whole oats for about 3 years, and I suppliment with Fish & Alfalfa meal, plus vitamins.

I agree that soy is not good for chickens. they need animal protein.

Sue

Quote:
Hi,
Fox valley is a nice area... NO are you kidding.. Organics is not taking off in Wisconsin, even though it is the birthplace of organic...
lol.png
I would say in the Madison area yes... But I am not seeing very much organic beer and Bratwurst being served at da football games..
wink.png
Ya?

BOSS is Black oil sunflower seeds... Awesome for chickens! very hard to find organic at a decent price, matter of fact it is my only non organic ingredient in my home made feed...

I have no thoughts on pellets or mash...I always fed organic mash before making my own feed. Now I feed sprouted whole grains and grains I grind fresh at home..

Be well

ON

Organic foods continue with double digit growth even in this economy. There is a lot of organic ag in Wisconsin especially in grain and milk production. Organic grain prices continue to be an issue for organic animal production on any kind of scale. I would say organics is doing pretty well everywhere. Of course it still comprises way less than 5% of food consumption in this country

I mix my own feed using whole grains. But I just realized that my protein levels weren't high enough thanks to Chris09 and some other posters

hugs.gif

(due to misinformation on other websites about how much protein is in this, that, and the other grain).

So my feed mix just jumped in price because I must include more seeds to boost the protein.

I just started to buy organic layer pellets to mix in to keep my cost down. For my layers only (which is only 1/4 of my flock). I read someone else's account of how they mix in pellets to keep their cost down- that's how I got the idea.

I don't like soy either. But it's in the pellets (organic though).

I LOVE getting out in the garage in the early morning and mixing my grains together (enough for 5 days or so), and then seeing the hens eat healthy food. They LOVE peanuts (unsalted).

Back
Top Bottom