Pendulous crop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by micstrachan, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :goodpost: X2 Excellent Carol!
    I have one right now that is a basket case, the way she acts sure does make her a target. If she's the same tomorrow, then she will get a time out:)

TwoCrows and azygous like this.
  2. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Thanks. This morning Ruby was going from dish to dish as she was chased off by the higher ranked hens. However, when she had the whole run to herself, she didn’t eat. She did come out once and forage a tiny bit. And I saw her on the outdoor roost. My top hen, Margo, is a little withdrawn right now too. She is also molting. I have one hour until sunset, so I let them out for one more run around.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    TwoCrows, Wyorp Rock and azygous like this.
  3. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

Ruby is hanging out under a bush fluffed up with her tail down, so I’ll be keeping her in the “hospital” tomorrow. She put herself there most of today, anyway.

TwoCrows likes this.
  4. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Do you suppose Ruby's problem is molt or does it look like crop issues? What's her crop like in the morning? Does it seem as if she's losing too much weight?

micstrachan, TwoCrows and Wyorp Rock like this.
  5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If she's not being picked at, I would probably leave her be. Mine is carrying on like a nut so she's drawing unnecessary and unwanted attention to herself :(

micstrachan and TwoCrows like this.
  6. micstrachan

micstrachan Free Ranging

I think it is more molt related. Crop has been empty the mornings I have checked (I can tel by looking at her when I don’t check, too). However, she was rather thin during her doughy crop (lost over 1/3 of her body weight between molt and crop issue). It seemed like she had gotten her appetite back until today. So that’s a roundabout answer, but yes, I think she’s losing too much weight.

I think tomorrow I’ll let her be, but if she’s still feeling bad, I’ll keep her in jail while I’m at work Monday and Tuesday. She loves kale if I chop it finely for her, so I’ll do that. She ignored raw egg today, but I didn’t try scrambled, which she prefers. I saw her eat lots of feed and drink water this morning, so I’m not getting freaked out just yet. Her body language didn’t go bad until free range time. Maybe she ate something that did not agree with her. I know she loves to steal my neighbor’s cat food. It’s seeming more and more like Ruby is a more sensitive bird in general. I feel like I’m posting about her on a somewhat regular basis.

Wyorp Rock, azygous and TwoCrows like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: