Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Well, hope you all can bear with me while I do a little 'really cool moment' sharing...

We put cameras in the coop, one for general population and one on 'broody watch'... we figured out the motion sensor and record setups and finally tonight got the video I've been wanting to capture. Gracie doing her own broody hen temp and humidity control.

Watch her do her 'broody shuffle' at the end of the video...
bun.gif

this could be dangerous... I actually broke down and got a youtube account so I could post this video! I'm doomed!!!
th.gif
cool!

Here is one tool that can help....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds

If you have kids then pay attention to the 'friendliness' factor a bit more, and maybe get a couple that lay different color eggs (blues, greens, creamy shades) because the kids may enjoy the 'rainbow' in the egg basket, so to speak.

If you want your hens to sometimes raise their own then go with a breed with average or frequent broodiness to increase your odds of having a hen want to raise a clutch once in a while (broody trait isn't a guarantee you'll end up with a broody hen, but it sure increases the odds)

I like the mixed flocks... 3 or 4 of each breed. Makes for a colorful yard and you get more variety in personality traits and you can get the 'rainbow' egg basket and some breeds lay better through the winter than others. So mixing the flock may give you a bit more consitant egg source.

Another way to improve the egg count (over time) is to plan to get new chicks in 6 months or again next spring.... this will help stagger the age of your flock and as your first ones age in a couple of years. Instead of getting 20 now, get 12 and then add another 8-10 next spring, etc.

Shopping for new chickens is a lot of fun! Enjoy!

Welcome to all the new folks!!!!!!

Blarney, I think I am going too!!!!! I am so excited to go to a show and have the entries!!!! Hopefully all my years of hard work will get some clarification, justification, and some satisfaction!!!

Both websites had 1 breed in common, the Wyandotte. I do like the looks of the silver and golden lace. Any opinions on the breed?

They are very pretty. THE BLRW is really striking. But I personally didn't care for them. I had two (bantams) and they were mean to my other birds. However, that could have just been these two birds, and it may not be an issue at all if you ONLY had that breed?
Welcome to all the new folks!!!!!!

Blarney, I think I am going too!!!!! I am so excited to go to a show and have the entries!!!! Hopefully all my years of hard work will get some clarification, justification, and some satisfaction!!!

Well I just looked and that is almost 5 hours from me
th.gif

Mama, I have large fowl. I have 1 rooster and 2 hens. They are the trio that raises my peeps, when they move to the "big barn". They are so laid back it's ridiculous. They don't move any faster then they have to, I can walk right up to them.

My cousin has BLRW. They are nasty! It depends on the bloodlines, and nurture.

Back
Top Bottom