Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. honeyb

honeyb Out Of The Brooder

where?[​IMG]its allways to far for me

2. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

daily comic anyone,,,

[​IMG]

3. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    It is in Sharpsburg, MD.

It is almost a 3 hr trip for us too. But worth it! RoPo and I were just there last weekend. It isn't a hard trip to do.

4. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    [​IMG]
    So... Wingstone, I liked the cat picture. That is funny.
    My understanding of GMO's is that while no one wants them, the price of food/feed without them is high. I am getting ticked about the current prices for feed, and I am pretty sure Purina/Dumor is using them. I HOPE not, but IDK. I am even thinking of going to the local mill's feed. That scares me because I have gotten moldy feed in the past. Bottom line, like High Fructose Corn Syrup, I am thinking that we are panicking, and need to put it in perspective. Again, this is just what I am understanding.
    HoneyB, Hatchery vs. breeder. I have asked a few people on here about that in the past. A hatchery is going to go for breeding the chicks for egg laying. A breeder goes for whatever that breeder wants. Breeders are more likely to be kind to the chicks, and the chickens will usually have more natural (and prettier!) coloring. They are more likely to go broody because a breeder won't breed it out of them. Think puppy mills (pet stores) vs. your local dog breeder. I am proud to say that I have a pair and a trio that are not hatchery stock. But I am not ashamed that Chick Days is calling my name.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    LMAO!!!!

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Well Erin was saying the vendor she has is only like $1-$2 higher for non-GMO than for regular food. For me, that is worth it. See, I think that where GMO is concerned, we are not taking it seriously enough. Other countries are starting to label packaging and they are seeing what kind of devastation it is causing. If we let GOM practices continue unchecked, one of these days one corporation is going to control the world food supply. Watch some documentaries about Mansanto if you want to see what I am talking about.

For me, with the hatchery vs. breeder I agree with all the things you said. And having seen first hand what a hatchery silkie or a hatchery cochin look like, I am amazed. Because they look nothing like the "breed" they are supposed to be. GOOD breeders breed to a standard. Like a GOOD dog breeder. Some people spend their entire life trying to improve the breeds. Hatcheries couldn't care less. They raise chicks strictly for profit.

Now, don't get me wrong. Plenty people have hatchery birds. I have a few, too. It all depends on what you are wanting and looking to do.

Just my $0.02.....

2 people like this.
  7. wingstone

wingstone Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    mount joy, pennsylvania
    [​IMG]you must be alot younger than me, cause I was at that point year's ago.

8. pappyshalfpint

pappyshalfpint New Egg

Jan 16, 2013
    Hello, northampton co. here. luv this site and my girls..[​IMG]

9. BullChick

BullChick Not who you think Premium Member

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Love your avatar. How adorable![​IMG]

10. stake

stake Chillin' With My Peeps