Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

ooooohhhhh....I like car charger idea. HAHA I can picture the look on my husbands face. They are large fowl buff brahmas. I also have some bantam easter eggers in there for a friend. I know that some on here have brahmas but I didn't see anyone that has LF buffs that were laying eggs. So I had them shipped in. That is why I am having such a horrible hatch rate!!

Did anyone give their chickens anything special to keep them busy? I gave them their normal leftovers, but also threw a pumpkin in there. I hope they all stay happy.

They are large fowl buff brahmas. I also have some bantam easter eggers in there for a friend. I know that some on here have brahmas but I didn't see anyone that has LF buffs that were laying eggs. So I had them shipped in. That is why I am having such a horrible hatch rate!!

Well I hope you get some really nice ones hatched out!

I have bantam buff brahma and they are my oldest son's favorite breed. He is hoping to show some this spring. We lost our roo a few months back (of course, his favorite one...) so I am really hoping to be able to get this nice roo for him.

I went out in a downpour and put about 10 plastic containers of warm oatmeal in all the coops and pens, so everyone can spread out and fill up, while I was there I topped off everyones water. I know I said I wouldnt spoil them until I get an egg, but I dont want them all fighting from being "cooped" up for days !!
lau.gif

Too bad the kids dont like oatmeal!

We have a coolerbator FULL and I mean FULL of eggs! 4+doz now since Chad gave me some last week too!

LF POLISH I ordered for Harmony, LF Lights, Darks, Buffs Brahma and a friend gave Harmony 1.5 doz and not sure what they all are but all but 1 looks LF too. PLUS Chads 8/9..... what are they again Chad I FORGET!! LOL

Chad MSG me about that injury we discussed.

I have a generator and car charger HOWEVER you cant run them straight. I have a coal stove downstairs so I am wondering if I can keep it close enough to keep warm without melting the outside.

This is a paste from my notes for those who have eggs in.... WE STILL HAVE POWER! YAY!

This link has a closer look at temps and then I pasted the summary.......

http://www.brinsea.com/customerservice/poweroff.html

What If the Power Goes Off?
A number of conclusions from this data which have practical implications:

1. Cooling eggs for short periods, say 30 to 40 minutes, on a regular basis (say once
every 24 hours) at any stage during incubation has no detrimental effect and is
probably of benefit.

2. If eggs are likely to be cooled for longer periods (more than 2 hours) the way they
should be treated depends upon their state of development. If the eggs are newly set
the best plan is to cool them fairly quickly down to 5 - 20°C (41 - 68°F) and hold
them in this range - put them in the fridge!

It may also be best to treat eggs this way up to about the 14th day, although greater
losses must be expected if severe cooling occurs later in incubation.
If power loss occurs when the eggs are near hatching, incubator temperature is less
critical, but severe chilling will cause mortalities. It is preferable therefore, to take
reasonable steps to limit heat loss by keeping the incubator shut and raising the
temperature of the room if possible. The metabolic heat from the embryos will keep
them warm for quite a long time.

3. Avoid maintaining eggs in early stages of incubation for long periods of time in the
‘zone of disproportionate development’ (27 - 35°C/80.6 - 95°F). This will result in a
large number of deaths and abnormalities.

4. Avoid subjecting the eggs to over-temperature at any time but particularly in the early
days of incubation.

Remember that incubator thermometer readings will not be the same as embryo temperatures
when cooling or heating occurs. The eggs will lag behind the air temperature. For example,
cooling hens eggs by taking them out of the incubator into a room at 20°C/68°F for 30-40
minutes is likely to cool the internal egg temperature by only 3 - 5°C (7 - 10°F). Eggs smaller
or larger than hens eggs will react quicker or slower accordingly.

HH1-1.jpg

Gonna try and load a pic of my new man
big_smile.png

Big daddy Henry!

Thank you again mama2my4 for bringing him along with in your travels and Thank you Angelchix! He is a handsome devil!

I think I solved my baby quail problem, 6 of those little buggers decided to hatch early, i brought 1 of my broody silkies inside and she seems to be taking to them, I was afraid they would be to small and she would crush them but so far so good.

I am interested !!!  funny thing is I have 2 buff orp's and 2 lemon cuckoo orp's and they are no where near my favorites, they are kind of kept because of the nice big eggs I get from them......but when I seen the pics of this boy I was mesmerized, he is gorgeous....I didn't realize they came in so many colors....I have 1 young blue hen about 10 weeks old I will have to search for a pic of what she will look like as an adult.

I have a black and a blue cockerel 5 months old headed to freezer camp. If the blue boy fills out more before 'D day' I'll keep him. I'm so glad you've got a broody warming your new chicks.

Chad, nice lookin Roo!

Sharron, I lost my LCO Roo from a fox attack this spring. It was my daughter's favorite (of course). My son witnesses the fox funning off with a chook, then we went outside to the carnage. In less than an hour the fox took 5 and left 2 dead behind. Worse loss we've had so far, 7!

Power went out for about 1/2 an hour. Back up now, yay!

MsLadyHawke, you can always bring the bator here (if you can make it on the roads). We have a generator, not a whole house one...so only a handful of outlets work, but I'd be happy to plug your Brinsea in if you need it. I always seem to forget which outlets work, it puts a whole new spin on making coffee when the power's off.

Back
Top Bottom