Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  2. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    5 will get you ten the dog is microchipped. But no collar? Oh really? [​IMG] Training? If they had trained the dog well or at all this wouldn't have happened [​IMG] The breed has it in them to be flock guardians. [​IMG] I mean really [​IMG] Who leaves a Leonberger in the garage in weather like this? The breed instinctually wants to be with it's family and protect it. That must have really messed with that dog's mind to be separated like that. [​IMG] Stupid owners. [​IMG] That's a lovely dog tho, very typey. I suppose you could threaten to have the dog's breeder notified, the Leo world is very small and very proper. [​IMG]
    Dip snuff and spit,
    Karen

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Finally got eggs! Now who laid um? Lol. I got no power or a road but I got eggs! Yay! Luke wants to hatch them, lol he says he ain't eating his own peeps! Uh oh!

[​IMG]

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    I know! It just sucks, but I was young a loooong time ago, but never had the cash to buy an animal like that! My 1st dog came from a stand at renningers auction lol... Thank goodness I learned my lessons! I even checked all the fences during Sandy when I had to let them out! Hubby was mad at me, even more when we heard that man died when a tree crashed on his porch as he was letting his dogs go pee : ( poor man was only 62 : ( I am a bit worried as I have collars on my dogs but no tags : ( they always fall off cause they all play and bite each others collars....some are micro chipped though (the youngsters are anyway)

5. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa
    Well that was a lot to read! Been gone since Monday night with no power ad no Internet!! Luckily we had a generator to run the heater and fridges! My chickens made it thru it all fine, they are on the upper part of my land and no flooding just grumpy chickens because they were forced to be cooped up for a day and a half!! Lost 2 trees in our yard but we wanted to remove them anyways so this will actually make my hubby and father do it instead of just talk about it!! So spending the day doing laundry sweeping floors and getting ready for a craft show this weekend!!, hope everyone else gets power back soon too, no fun without it when you are so used to having it!!

6. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    If you want to have I.D. on them, you can look for the tags that have a slit on the left and right side. The collar (the old fashioned buckle kind) slips through the holes. Nothing dangling. Well... On the collar anyway.[​IMG]

7. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    If you are in Landcaster Amish country, yeah. I think that Horizon chicken coops is located there. They make lovely coops, but a tad expensive , but doable if you have an insurance check. See them on the Internet at:
    http://www.horizonstructures.com/
    Or you could just buy a small shed from Lowes (4sq. ft. per bird inside x the number of birds you have) will tell you the size shed you need. and have it moved to your property. Might find a good buy on a "technically" storm damaged one needing only some shingles, that they can't sell as "new".
    Then (making the outside yard @ 10 sq. ft. per bird) make 6x6 square panels from 2x4 frames with chicken wire stapled to them. Carriage bolt panels together , and carriage bolt the corners together using 4x4's. Neat thing about this is it sets on the ground (no posts in the ground) so no building permit needed, usually, because technically it is "portable" . Built our dog runs this way 18 yrs. ago (have collies so we used welded wire instead of chicken wire) and they are still in good shape. If you have borrowing varmints tack some chicken wire to the bottom of the panels and bury it in the earth to discourage digging varmints.
    Best,
    Karen

8. 3riverschick

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    easy replacement coop ideas.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/felidaets-chicken-coop
    just buy the shed, see how they mounted it on cement deck anchors? no digging. Run goes out the side.... attach egg boxes on the rear where the water won't run off the roof into the roof of the egg boxes.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-triple-c-the-crouches-chicken-coop
    cool coop. Solves the problem of how to attach the run to the coop, as the coop is "part" of the run. No need for this fancy foundation, just use the panels I described earlier for the run and build a door into one of them. ( they used a Kreg Jig system to assemble the boards to make this run. ..great excuse to buy one!...Or just turn the boards 90 degrees and use regular screws instead.)
    If you make your run only 8 feet wide you can easily roof it. No need for the fancy roof here. Just a draped tarp will work.
    Karen

9. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    Look at Myerstown Sheds...I know it sounds cooky but they have a ton of chicken coups ready made for sale. Or even find a small cheap shed and convert it.

10. patrickschick

patrickschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Myerstown,PA
    That dang dog tore things up! I REALLY didn't wanna kill it. She wouldn't come out of the pens. When she lunged I had no choice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by