Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Do you have the photos online? I have 2 little girls that love bows.....

2. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    i use advil sinus and allery(spelling) sometimes i get a sinus infection so bad i lose my voice due to it dripping down the back of my throat gross

3. missydcpc

missydcpc Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    South-Central PA

Do you do like fairy headbands? Those circles that sit on top of their heads with streamers down the back?

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    YAY Electric! Just stay on pleaseeeeeeeeeee!! Eric said they cut down the trees, left them lay, but fixed the wires!!!! So we at least have electric but 419 remains closed, I am sure not for long now! yaya!! They musta been working late!! Way to go LINEMEN!!!!

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

6. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Woo Hoo!!

7. Baym

Baym Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    If my post count doesn't give it away, my lack of knowledge sure will - I am a newb when it comes to raising chickens. I have spent some time researching different types of coops. Ironically I was driving backroads to Hershey the other day and drove right by a place that was selling coops so I swung in. They had a really nice design that is sort of like the Wichita setup that appears in the design area of BYC. I was hoping I could get the opinion of my fellow Pennsylvanians here. How would this coop work for 6 hens (or perhaps 8 - my township maximum for 2 acres)?

http://www.shedsunlimited.net/store/product/buy-chicken-coop-with-run/

It would be the 5 x 8, which means the coop area is 5x4 and the covered run is also 5x4 (with an additional 5x4 under the coop itself).

Thanks in advance for your insight.

EDIT: For the record, don't focus on the price! Wow that thing isn't cheap. It is more the design aspect that intrigued me.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  8. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA
    Sally, glad you're back up! I wonder if PentaMom is...?

BayM: wow! That is a gorgeous coop! As far as versatility, I would prefer to see more run space especially for a non moving coop, unless you plan to free range as well.

9. Baym

Baym Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2012
    Southeastern PA
    That's an excellent tip Blarney. I started out with the Wichita style but then realized I would like the coop to be bigger and taller so I could get inside when I needed to. I also wanted a covered run section to be able to put up panels to prevent snow accumulation, rain, and my coop placement is going to be on the edge of a small woodline up hill from a pond so I wanted overhead protection from any falling branches, birds of prey, etc.

I could easily design an additional run space as well to make that section bigger.

Is a 5x4 coop ok for 6-8 birds at night? Or does that seem too small?

EDIT: Since the area where I am putting the coop stays kind of wet, I plan to build the coop up off the ground about a foot or so and will likely add gutters to direct the rain water off the roof and drains around the base to try to keep the run from staying wet. Someone recommeded that, and it seems like a smart idea, although I don't really understand the whys other than I wouldn't want to stand on wet ground either!

10. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    I know Bumble(bee!!) foot is a problem with a wet run. I hope more people respond with more info. I am going to try and dry out the run today, but I am not sure just how much I need to worry about it.
    It is recommended to have 4 sq feet of space per bird in the coop. That coop is okay for five birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by