Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Kagross, welcome! Good luck with those numbers! I am willing to bet you have twenty within the first week!
Pentamom, Dumor. I am told it is Purina. I got it once, but I get so many Purina coupons, I save by using Purina. Any pipping yet?

And just what are you looking at???

Don't let the "stink eye" fool you, Mimsy is the sweetest girl in the coop. But you will never get her to admit that!! She is so docile, I had to put her in with the silkies because the other bantams were picking on her!

It is hard to get a good picture of her because she is always so close to me and so curious about what I am doing.

Here is my only other LF, who also lives with the silkies. This is my JG, Duchess.

So thankful to motorcyclechick for allowing me to have both of these girls!

kagross: Welcome! Getting an early start on your research, huh? Good man!

Lilbrownie: I too would like news of the Lebanon club.

PentaMom: I was at TSC today too! Did you bring your 10% off coupon? Bought as much food as I could! And a wagon for the grandsons.

BayM, you keep making me laugh!

Buterbaugh, you need a shot gun and a beer to complete the rocking chair picture.

Wingstone and Motorcycle, Feel Better!

Hi Leslie, I missed the post!

Do you know who the pecker is??? Bye bye to the pecker, but I assume you don't know who it is, and I agree about the spray and being outside in this cold (Did you know laying hens tend to peck short feathers more frequently than long ones, and there is some evidence to suggest that hens laying brown-shelled eggs are more likely to engage in feather pecking than hens laying white-shelled eggs) HOWEVER if they need the spray you should isolate them and care for them....IF there is blood on the bird you have to ISOLATE or you wont fix anything.

POSITIVE you have enough space in the coop for them??????
feed and water is always filled?
PARASITES? sure you don't have any?? You are NOT overcrowded correct? You have ENOUGH nest boxes? you have plenty of perches for the birds?
I read something about too much light as well, always use red or a dimmer in the coop.
Heat.... NOT TOO WARM either with adequate ventilation
How have you added protein and is it on a daily basis?
There is always the debeaking route as well as the sunglasses route????
And last is a hard to swallow suggestion.... you may have to remove your weaker birds permanently as I had to....
here is a thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/621392/pecking/20 interesting about the horse feed I think it was that they suggest... high protein

I hope you can nip this and not have to deal with cannibalism : (
Sally Sunshine,

Wow, with all the posts here it's hard to follow...Thanks for your response!
So coop is an 8x8 shed with 14 chickens in it-

10x16 run, free range late afternoon

ALWAYS food and water! ( and seed blocks in run as well as seasonal veggies-right now they get pumpkins which really keeps them occupied)

Check constantly for parasites...no sign of them

No heat in coop so definitely not too warm and decent ventilation...

Plenty of roost space inside and space for roosting during day in the run

I give extra BOSS every afternoon as well as mealworms for added protein

Here's the thing, I thought I had singled out the plucker and rehomed her-still plucking going on-added 3 new hens-no change-added a rooster AND

the girls who were being plucked are ALL growing their feathers back now it's the younger girls getting plucked

Question-could this actually be an injury from the rooster mounting her? She and her 2 sisters are his favorites...

I didn't remove her (I observed them until dusk and no one seemed to notice that she was hurt) and she looks fine today-no blood and no additional injury.

Last edited:
Kagross, welcome! Good luck with those numbers! I am willing to bet you have twenty within the first week!
Pentamom, Dumor. I am told it is Purina. I got it once, but I get so many Purina coupons, I save by using Purina. Any pipping yet?
Ah! That's the name! LOL! You can get coupons?! Awesome! I was hoping to get more organic type feed, but for now, this will do. I have yet the time to research food and keeping my chickens organic. I have a lot of people who want to buy eggs....

Question: Can I ship eggs to people in NJ for them to eat? If so, what is the best way to do that??

No pipping yet! I keep looking, I'm so impatient! LOL!!!

And just what are you looking at???

Don't let the "stink eye" fool you, Mimsy is the sweetest girl in the coop. But you will never get her to admit that!! She is so docile, I had to put her in with the silkies because the other bantams were picking on her!

It is hard to get a good picture of her because she is always so close to me and so curious about what I am doing.

Here is my only other LF, who also lives with the silkies. This is my JG, Duchess.

So thankful to motorcyclechick for allowing me to have both of these girls!
OMG, I love them!!

kagross: Welcome! Getting an early start on your research, huh? Good man!
Lilbrownie: I too would like news of the Lebanon club.
PentaMom: I was at TSC today too! Did you bring your 10% off coupon? Bought as much food as I could! And a wagon for the grandsons.
BayM, you keep making me laugh!
Buterbaugh, you need a shot gun and a beer to complete the rocking chair picture.
Wingstone and Motorcycle, Feel Better!
NO! HOW DO I KEEP MISSING OUT ON OUPONS!?!?
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom