Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by LeBlackbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA

Oh no don't be sorry. I dropped it like a week ago, sealed it up with wax and stuck it back in the bator. Now it is pipped!! I think it just might make it despite my blunders!
  2. mama2my4

mama2my4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Julian, PA
    Purdy, can you tell us more about this? I am ALL FOR easy to clean up poop!
  3. LittleMissPurdy

LittleMissPurdy Chillin' With My Peeps

I've run into alot on this topic, in different forums..Random Ramblings, feeding &watering your flock, even in the "introductions". Anyway, alot of benefits w/ using this method less "stinky"poo,shiny heathier feathers as said,nicer eggs,eat less,drink less, the only down-side that I've read from others experiences is that it takes alittle while to get it stated in the fermenting process. You can buy the "mother"-(acv) used to get this started at walmart, read that it cost around 12.00 a bottle,"Braggs" or "Fleishmans" brand, but you really only need to use alittle to get things going. You will need 2- 1 gallon buckets or larger depending on how much you need to make(how large your flock is).Drill holes in one of the buckets-bottom & bottom-sides, this is what you put the feed into. then in the non-drilled bucket you start the "ferment-water"-depending on how much feed will depend on how much "mother & water". But enough water to cover the feed. From what I've read, (and I need to re-read to keep fresh in the old brain)..fermentation is going well when "bubbly" and smells of "bread"-yeasty. should not be stinky or smell "bad". Time on how longs it takes for this to bhappen also depends on where you keep it stored: warm place will excellerate the process and also your not supposed to cover it, it needs to "breathe".Once this all happens, you simply lift the bucket with the holes out of the bucket w/out, let it drain for awhile, remove the amount you need..replace back into the same bucket the amount of feed you took out w/ the regular dry feed...stir around abit, then place "hole-bucket" back into non-hole bucket..and the process continues. the stuff at the bottom of the non-hole bucket is what keeps things "going". Man..that was alot...If anyone uses this method..did I miss anything?? Thanks[​IMG]
  4. LittleMissPurdy

Using sand is nice if you don't want to change the way you feed your chicks.Only need a cat litter scoop. I think Motorcycle chick just switched to that method.
  5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  6. galgo98

galgo98 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Lebanon, Pennsylvania
    Thanks Chad, but she is the only person on BYC that I would never sell another living creature to. ....and "waterfowl woman"... ???? I feel like I should have a cape! [​IMG]
    MissPurdy- You will have to let us know when you move, because I say "Hi" to you every time I drive thru East Pete on my way to the vietnamese restaurant, El Rodeo, or Park City!! [​IMG]

Missy- Could you please add me to the map, my zip is 17042. Thanks!

Everyone, stay safe out there today!!
  7. Blarneyeggs

Blarneyeggs Overrun With Chickens

Oct 22, 2011
    Southeast PA

Beekissed is the queen of this, our Bruce uses it too. I plan to....someday.
  8. Lilbrownie

Lilbrownie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2012
    Berks County Pa

So happy to hear everyone likes this incubator!! We want to incubate but don't want to do a lot so 12 bantams at once is just enough for us! Dd is too excited and keeps asking when spring will be here!!

Oo Roots I love that place try to get there as many times as I can!!
  9. roseschickies

roseschickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2012
    Horsham, Pa
    OK just looked this up! And I wonder if i can get my BF to go along with going to this, Harrisburg is a pretty good drive! ( he thinks I am getting a little to carried away with the chickens! LOL. He will prolly change his mind once they start laying)
  10. LittleMissPurdy

sounds like it's the way to go...definately going to do it!!!, savings on feed alone is enough for me....Sally, how do you bring up would have been alot easier for me just to have done that!!!! try to explain something you've only read about is[​IMG].. yeah, more of a show me / me show you kidda person...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by