Permethrin Dip for Mites

HH.Wench

Songster
Jun 24, 2018
SE USA
I want to start doing an annual dip to prevent/treat any possible bugs. Im in a really heavy wildlife area and my birds free range in the woods among loads of wild birds, etc., of all kinds.

I bought a large bucket and 1/2 gallon of liquid Permethrin and want to start doing an annual dip on everyone. Im thinking if I fill the bucket, I can submerge each bird up to it's head, tipping the beak up to the sky, then toss it back into the pen to dry off.

Are there any issues with this method? Seems to me all of the powders and sprays would be ineffective at getting to the skin up under every feather, but a good dip should penetrate everything well. I'd like to spray down the inside of the coop at the same time with the dilution.

Anyone else do something like this? Any potential issues?

I want to start doing an annual dip to prevent/treat any possible bugs. Im in a really heavy wildlife area and my birds free range in the woods among loads of wild birds, etc., of all kinds.

I bought a large bucket and 1/2 gallon of liquid Permethrin and want to start doing an annual dip on everyone. Im thinking if I fill the bucket, I can submerge each bird up to it's head, tipping the beak up to the sky, then toss it back into the pen to dry off.

Are there any issues with this method? Seems to me all of the powders and sprays would be ineffective at getting to the skin up under every feather, but a good dip should penetrate everything well. I'd like to spray down the inside of the coop at the same time with the dilution.

Anyone else do something like this? Any potential issues?

I am planning to do the same thing this weekend since I see signs of mites. The article CarpCharacin linked is very good, however, it gives mixing instructions for 10% Permethrin and my Permethrin is 36.8% strength. So in case yours happens to be 36.8% as well, here is a link to the complete instructions from the manufacturer for all sorts of applications. Best of luck! https://controlsolutionsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/Specimen-PermethrinSFR-70506-6-53883.pdf

I am planning to do the same thing this weekend since I see signs of mites. The article CarpCharacin linked is very good, however, it gives mixing instructions for 10% Permethrin and my Permethrin is 36.8% strength. So in case yours happens to be 36.8% as well, here is a link to the complete instructions from the manufacturer for all sorts of applications. Best of luck! https://controlsolutionsinc.com/wp-content/uploads/Specimen-PermethrinSFR-70506-6-53883.pdf
Curious where you found the 37% concentration?

I have Gordons brand from TSC and it is 10%

Ordered on Amazon. The spec sheet I posted earlier (32 pages) has recommended dilution for different types of applications, including dip and coop applications. It also has a conversion chart, so if you already know what concentration you want it tells you how much product & how much liquid to make 1 gallon, 5 gallons, etc. It was a more economical way for me to purchase than at my local TSC. Here's the Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY9TN8M/?tag=backy-20

Last edited:

Ordered on Amazon. The spec sheet I posted earlier (32 pages) has recommended dilution for different types of applications, including dip and coop applications. It also has a conversion chart, so if you already know what concentration you want it tells you how much product & how much liquid to make 1 gallon, 5 gallons, etc. It was a more economical way for me to purchase than at my local TSC. Here's the Amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LY9TN8M/?tag=backy-20

Thanks so much for the info.

Curious why you want to do it as a "preventative"?
My knowledge of external parasite and Permethrin is that it only works on the initial contact of live parasites. It doesn't stay around for months on the bird as, say, a dog flea collar might.
Quite curious if I am wrong though.

As far as a bath, I've found that Permethrin 10 in a 5gal bucket at 1/16cup to the water works for general external mite relief.
Warm works wayyyy better than cold hose water. Dip bird fully in (minus face of course) and gently rub/scrub to really soak to the skin.
I've had a few birds with really stubborn overloads. Warm 2.5 gallons of water at 1/4cup was needed before I saw them rotten things floating in the bucket. I went to this dose gradually and out of desperation to save their lives however. I really let these hens sit and soak, which they seemed to enjoy.

I've used a few different buckets but 5gal is so far the best. You can even use two, mix solution and water in one, then divide between the two buckets. Two birds at once with water level at their standing heights and eyes below the rim creates less panic for most of them.

Soaking and gentle rubs is VERY important.
I've dipped many times before realizing that half the birds I just treated didn't get a drop to their skin! This is probably how my infestation got out of control. Spraying atop feathers will NOT kill the mites, need that chemical on skin level!
Also, dipping and tossing birds back into run ended up coating my clothing, skin, hair, and eyeballs in splashed chemical. Go slow, dip, swish, take your time especially when letting them go!

My knowledge of external parasite and Permethrin is that it only works on the initial contact of live parasites. It doesn't stay around for months on the bird as, say, a dog flea collar might.

As far as a bath, I've found that Permethrin 10 in a 5gal bucket at 1/16cup to the water works for general external mite relief.
Warm works wayyyy better than cold hose water. Dip bird fully in (minus face of course) and gently rub/scrub to really soak to the skin.
I've had a few birds with really stubborn overloads. Warm 2.5 gallons of water at 1/4cup was needed before I saw them rotten things floating in the bucket. I went to this dose gradually and out of desperation to save their lives however. I really let these hens sit and soak, which they seemed to enjoy.

I've used a few different buckets but 5gal is so far the best. You can even use two, mix solution and water in one, then divide between the two buckets. Two birds at once with water level at their standing heights and eyes below the rim creates less panic for most of them.

I've dipped many times before realizing that half the birds I just treated didn't get a drop to their skin! This is probably how my infestation got out of control. Spraying atop feathers will NOT kill the mites, need that chemical on skin level!
Also, dipping and tossing birds back into run ended up coating my clothing, skin, hair, and eyeballs in splashed chemical. Go slow, dip, swish, take your time especially when letting them go!

Thanks for the great tips. Do you wear long gloves?

I mean as a preventative assuming they have bugs since im in a heavy wildlife area and they roam the forest with a thick bird population. If I were in a subdivision with a small covered coop, I wouldn't bother. (like we call ivomec monthly 'preventative,' for heartworm in dogs that is retroactive after possible exposure.)

Hoping someone else will weigh in on that, but I'm fairly certain you cannot use this as a preventative.
I would personally check birds often and ONLY treat when there's a problem.

Permethrin kills all insects, including pollinators. Releasing any of this into the environment is bad. I found it impossible to use without doing so.

I WOULD wear long gloves if I had some. It isn't a bad idea.

Side question, if allowed, how long of an egg withdrawal did you ise after initial dip?

Back
Top Bottom