Permethrin in the UK

Azaia

Chirping
Nov 30, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I am coming to the realisation that finding Permethrin in the UK is becoming quite difficult. I've read the very helpful thread on percentage dilutions here and as a new chicken keeper was hoping that the transition on this side of the pond, in terms of treatment for mites, would be just as straightforward. I've learnt it is not.

I don't really want to pay for a ready-to-spray permethrin sub like Perbio Choc, if I can help it, I was hoping for something similar to US sold Martins good ol' 10% concentrate. However this is impossible to buy in the UK.
But what I have found is this, it's a formula made with cypermethrin. Can someone with a bit of knowledge please help to determine if this is a suitable substitute in the UK?
How different is it to permethrin? And if it is still suitable for eggs and meat consumption after a short period of withdrawal.

Also, do you know of a good permethrin based powder sold in the UK? If it's sold by Mole Online, then all the better. I don't have a mite problem yet, though I'm told it's inevitable as the weather warms over here and particularly as the birds are confined (by law at the moment) with bird flu influenza sweeping the country. I want to keep our small flock free from any distress from those little blighters.

I would, as always, really appreciate any help offered.

I would use it but only treat if you find any pests. I don't know if this chart another BYC member made as far as solution will help you. The mixture I have had good luck with is in yellow. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChartRev.jpg

Attachments

• PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    PermethrinSprayR.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 17
I would use it but only treat if you find any pests. I don't know if this chart another BYC member made as far as solution will help you. The mixture I have had good luck with is in yellow. Good luck...
Thank you Cmom, What do you suggest I use?
Perbio Choc? Or..Deosect? - which contains 5% cypermethrin. I wanted to find a viable alternative to Perbio Choc as it's not very cost effective.

Deosect. I use .50% mixture so I would use that one. There are others available here. You may want to see if you find spinosad, here in the US also known as Elector PSP. Maybe there is something similar available there. Here it is quite pricey. With Permethrin and (spinosad) there is no egg withdrawal period. Again, good luck...

Back
Top Bottom