Permethrin spray

Pics
Last edited:
Hi everyone I purchased the 36% bottle . Would this still work ? And why does most people prefer the 10% bottle ? Im confused . Wouldn't the 36% bottle last more and be more efficient ? Please let me know . I don't want to harm my birds . Thanks
smile.png
I would think you would need to dilute it to the proper strength to be able to treat safely with it.

Your basic question, wouldn't it last longer... or be more efficient...

Take bleach for example. Used in the proper strength it cleans your clothes. Used too strong and it eats them!

So although the answer may be yes it could last longer if your buying a heavier strength and diluting still to the correct proportion, if you are getting it for a cheaper price. However if you get the strength wrong and harm your chickens maybe not so much. If you sell your eggs and such, using something off label may have an effect. Better to use things that are in compliance. Though for me... in that situation... I might do the math and use it. Taking into consideration however... that the active ingredient might not be the only one to consider. The carrier or base ingredients may be less friendly to the bird.
hu.gif
We all have to do what makes sense to us... UGH, so MANY decisions!
he.gif

I would think you would need to dilute it to the proper strength to be able to treat safely with it.

Your basic question, wouldn't it last longer... or be more efficient...

Take bleach for example. Used in the proper strength it cleans your clothes. Used too strong and it eats them!

So although the answer may be yes it could last longer if your buying a heavier strength and diluting still to the correct proportion, if you are getting it for a cheaper price. However if you get the strength wrong and harm your chickens maybe not so much. If you sell your eggs and such, using something off label may have an effect. Better to use things that are in compliance. Though for me... in that situation... I might do the math and use it.  Taking into consideration however... that the active ingredient might not be the only one to consider. The carrier or base ingredients may be less friendly to the bird. :confused:   We all have to do what makes sense to us... UGH, so MANY decisions! :he
thank you so much for your answer . I decided to use this only on the perimeters and not in the coop or near poultry . I'll buy the 10% better safe than sorry :)

Quote: Not sure you need to use it on perimeters....according to that MSDS it's for termite infestations.
You know permethrin will kill most all bugs....not good for the environment if you don't have a specific and serious issue.
I believe it also is terrible if it gets into waterways..streams, lakes, etc as it can kill off life in the waters too.

Not sure you need to use it on perimeters....according to that MSDS it's for termite infestations.
You know permethrin will kill most all bugs....not good for the environment if you don't have a specific and serious issue.
I believe it also is terrible if it gets into waterways..streams, lakes, etc as it can kill off life in the waters too.
I understand your concern and I wouldn't use it if I didn't have a serious problem . Thankfully I don't live near water streams . I'll do my best to use it responsibly and after the infestation is taken care of . I'll use DE and dust(ashes)bath for my hens .

Permethrin kills most insects. Using it in your yard will kill off beneficial bugs also. What do you have a "serious problem " with that you think you need to treat your premises? Lice need to live on animals and mites live in the environment but very close to the animals (think nest boxes, roosts, etc) because they feed on the birds. Permethrin is very toxic to fish and other aquatic animals, and it is also toxic to cats.

Bottom line, even with a serious infestation, I can see no justification for treating anywhere other than on the birds and in the coop/run.

I understand your concern and I wouldn't use it if I didn't have a serious problem . Thankfully I don't live near water streams . I'll do my best to use it responsibly and after the infestation is taken care of . I'll use DE and dust(ashes)bath for my hens .
Skip the DE... it's harmful to the chickens and you to breath or get in the eyes. Even though the body can repair the microscopic cuts meant to harm pest, doesn't mean it should have to.
wink.png

The area where my birds bathe turns into a chasm if I don't bring in fresh dirt. They carry the bath away with them and floats everywhere when they shake out. Just as an example of how well it travels.

I have limited access to mite battling products (different country). What worked for me was painting neem oil inside the coop, especially the roosts and nest boxes. I diluted it to 50% in water, only because it is an all natural, organic one and was expensive. You can paint it on full strength. It's also good for wood floors. I now use a bit in my bucket when I mop our wooden floors to keep the fleas at bay. The first time I used it I got bitten on my ankles quite a bit so I assume the fleas didn't like it!

It's just another option for those fighting mites. I battled them for two months before reading about painting the coop with it. I haven't seen any since doing that. I also used Vetafarm Avian Insect Liquidator on my birds, especially their legs which the mites have to climb to get a feed. It lasts up to 6 weeks and the only time you can't use it is if you intend to eat your birds. It's safe to use on newly hatched finch chicks. I sprayed some on some mites as I was cleaning the coop while battling the awful things, just out of interest. They stopped moving very quickly!

DE does not work. I added a thick bed of it in the bottom of my nestboxes when I first discovered the mites. Then I found hundreds (possibly thousands!) crawling round in it quite happily, completely unaffected.

Mites hide in dark places and when I ran my hand under my roosts I was shocked at how many were hiding there. I too got badly bitten by the little suckers. SO ITCHY!!!

There's certainly no point spraying the perimeter to try and kill them off. They come on wild birds, settle in their nests then are left with no food when the chicks fledge, so go looking for other options. They can also be carried on rats I read. They set up shop in your lovely dark coop with a ready food source, and they keep on multiplying!

Back
Top Bottom