Permits for Quails?

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
Hi I am curious if anyone knows what is required and how much a permit for raising Bob White Quails in pennsylvania would be? I have contacted my game commission by email but it may be a while before they get back to me with information so since im anxious and am curious if anyone on here may know can ya please tell me? I wont be releasing the said birds, just raising them for my own enjoyment, and possibly selling excess. If anyone doesn't know that's okay this is just a stab in the dark just INCASE anyone does know.
smile.png

thank you!
niki

In Va the form is printed and a check mailed in with it for the permit. Costs $12.50 here. The department of game and wildlife fisheries issues the permit. look online. They usually have the paperwork available to print.

I don't know for sure if you need one in Pa. Jody (hinkjc) and Charlie raise quails and pheasant as well as sells eggs and such. They might be better to help you if you can't find the info online.

I have talked to Charlie about permits in VT. But he told me that they need one in PA for Bobwhite maybe pheasant too. I do not need one in Vermont for pheasant but for bobwhite I might. Get a permit. They are not very expensive.

I have no problem getting a permit
smile.png
. I have emailed the game commission because i cannot find one thing on the site about a printable form. I did however find out for sure that I do indeed need a permit for bobwhite quail but after reading about how Courtnix Quail are tamer than bobwhite quail (im not looking to release them just have them for enjoyable pets/breeders/eggs/meat). So from what I read Courtnix are good for that....so now I'm hoping to find out if Courtnix need a permit or not. Again I have no problem getting a permit, but it takes awhile to hear back from the game commisson on such matters and theres no point in calling them as they're usually pretty rude (our counties PGC). Whoever answers my emails is usually pretty nice so I like to go about it that way.

So does anyone know if Courtnix are okay without permit? If not hopefully PGA will finnally get back to me with a printable form. *by the way I have been looking on line for the past 6 hours with no luck---but luckily i did find an article stating i needed one for the BWs...now i wanna know if it also applies to teh Courtnix.
smile.png

Niki

In NC it's only $5, along with the form & you have to agree to follow certain rules... My Jumbo x Giant Bobwhite are WONDERFUL to have around! Smart--my Breeders know I'm not going to hurt them & they allow me to: drive the lawnmower right past them, without spooking; reach in right next to them without spooking; sing & chatter beautifullly most of the time--love to hear those sounds! They weigh 16-20 oz. which is as large as looks graceful to me (the pure Giants look like flying irons, to me), which makes it reasonable to serve 1/person...

Not too sure about other states but if they work like Texas, a breeder permit is necessary for raising anything they consider a gamebird. This includes all quail (even the multitude of Bob and Cortunix varieties) excluding the button, Ringneck pheasants, and certain breeds of turkeys. Last time I checked the permit was only like $12.00 for the year. The best bet is to call your local gamewarden office. If your state works like mine, it is easier to get info over the phone or dig through the website than getting information via email.

Also double check on the pheasants. I can raise all the Reeves pheasants here I want because they are "ornamental fowl" and not considered a gamebird but other states consider them game and, thus, need a permit. Go figure that one out.

Niki and Hot2Pot, having raised Cortunix / Pharaoh before, they are a lot like Bobs. The males do a "Look at ME!" type crow and they were fairly docile. Large breasted, slightly larger egg than the standard Bob, and fairly prolific on the egg laying. The Aggie Whites and Jumbos were great. The standards are a bit bigger than the standard Bob, but if you are looking for a good meat/egg laying/cool to have around quail, the Jumbo X Giants or the Georgia Giant Bobs are great. Darn things are more docile than a old hound dog. If you go for chukars, don't wear white shoes around them. The cocks like to attack them. You're okay with flipflops or any other color shoe but white.

I raised a wide range of gamebirds about 10 years ago and know tons on those. I sort of miss having them around. The Blue Scale, Bobs, and Chukars were a blast to have. Especially in the early evening when they would start "singing" as the sun went down. Just now getting started again but with chickens this time.

Chinchilla2,

actually in texas u do not need a game bird lisc for cort quail and button quail
i have triple checked with them
also u do not need a permit for the game birds below if you have under 25 birds of the species

now by texas law you do need NPIP cert to sell any eggs....

Sec. 45.0061. SOURCE OF GAME BIRDS. A person who is not required to possess a commercial game bird breeder's license and who is in possession of a live game bird, game bird egg, or part of a dead game bird shall, on the request of a game warden commissioned by the department, furnish to the warden a receipt showing the name and street address of the person and the name and street address of the source from which any live game bird, game bird egg, or part of a dead game bird in the possession of the person was derived. The receipt must also show the date of sale and the kind or species and number of live game birds, game bird eggs, or parts of dead game birds acquired. The failure or refusal to comply with this section is a violation of this chapter.

chapter 64 defines a game bird as the following:

PARKS AND WILDLIFE CODE

TITLE 5. WILDLIFE AND PLANT CONSERVATION

SUBTITLE B. HUNTING AND FISHING

CHAPTER 64. BIRDS

SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 64.001. GAME BIRDS. Wild turkey, wild ducks of all varieties, wild geese of all varieties, wild brant, wild grouse, wild prairie chickens, wild pheasants of all varieties, wild partridge, wild bobwhite quail, wild scaled quail, wild Mearn's quail, wild Gambel's quail, wild red-billed pigeons, wild band-tailed pigeons, wild mourning doves, wild white-winged doves, wild white-fronted doves, wild snipe of all varieties, wild shore birds of all varieties, chachalacas, wild plover of all varieties, and wild sandhill cranes are game birds.

(d) Canaries, parrots, and other exotic nongame birds may be sold, purchased, and kept as domestic pets.

smile.png

Quote:
Ahhh okay. I knew about the button exclusion but back when I was raising them they didn't bother to specify the "wild" part of that and Cortunix was included. Actually they called 'em Pharaoh (the po-TAY-toe, pa-TOT-toe argument there). They used to include Reeves as an ornamental exotic nongame bird but apparently that has changed now along with dropping Corts from the mix. Dang, turn your head for a few minutes (more like 10 years) and everything changes.

Back
Top Bottom