Personal take on the Violeta Color

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
I purchased a pair of Sonja's Violeta peas not to long ago and thought I would share my take on the color and some photos of my birds. I know there is a special thread for the photos but I thought it would be worth talking about on its own since it's a rare and relatively unknown color. The birds I purchased are 2016 hatch so they are still fairly young but I am already impressed with the color. The hen has some purple on the neck like a regular purple mutation hen but it is much darker and the body feathering is colored much more like an IB than the lighter coco brown of the purple. The purple coloration on both sexes is also much much deeper and richer than the coloration on a purple mutation bird and is wine-purple colored rather than the more blue-purple of the purple mutation. All in all I'd say if you are willing to pay quite a bit for a pair they're definitely worth having. One thing I would advise is that if you do purchase some is that you purchase pair rather than a just a hen or cock bird. Because it is a sex linked color I am sure there will be many more hen birds than cock birds as the color becomes more established and common. I am planning to outcross a great deal with the birds I have in order to help prevent some of the inbreeding depression that has hit the cameo and purple mutations due to reckless breeding of brother to sister and parent-offspring pairings for multiple generations. Hope everyone enjoys the pictures I look forward to seeing my male color up.

I purchased a pair of Sonja's Violeta peas not to long ago and thought I would share my take on the color and some photos of my birds. I know there is a special thread for the photos but I thought it would be worth talking about on its own since it's a rare and relatively unknown color. The birds I purchased are 2016 hatch so they are still fairly young but I am already impressed with the color. The hen has some purple on the neck like a regular purple mutation hen but it is much darker and the body feathering is colored much more like an IB than the lighter coco brown of the purple. The purple coloration on both sexes is also much much deeper and richer than the coloration on a purple mutation bird and is wine-purple colored rather than the more blue-purple of the purple mutation. All in all I'd say if you are willing to pay quite a bit for a pair they're definitely worth having. One thing I would advise is that if you do purchase some is that you purchase pair rather than a just a hen or cock bird. Because it is a sex linked color I am sure there will be many more hen birds than cock birds as the color becomes more established and common. I am planning to outcross a great deal with the birds I have in order to help prevent some of the inbreeding depression that has hit the cameo and purple mutations due to reckless breeding of brother to sister and parent-offspring pairings for multiple generations. Hope everyone enjoys the pictures I look forward to seeing my male color up.

Beautiful! Keep us updated as they age please!

Last edited:
They look great, I can't wait until mine grow up a bit more. I am sure I will be getting another pair next year.

If you don't mind my asking, who did you get your pair from? I came back from George Conner's with a trio of Violettas and one male spalding who is split BS and Violletta.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, and while they are a nice variation it seems slight as most of the 'new' colors are. They appear too similar to the plain IB with only a little color variation that does not make them stand out like the three sex-linked colors.

We all have our preferences and I am glad that there are those that appreciate the subtle differences in their beauty.

I've started to notice that as well. Part of it might just be people looking to have their own designer color but I'm sure part of it is also genetic degradation in some flocks. I've noticed in particular that purples are in a real mess, seems like most of them are almost indistinguishable from regular IB birds because of inbreeding depression messing up the colors. Plus there seem to be more colors appearing faster and faster and they're not really taking hold before the next one comes along. With all the new mutations it has to be difficult to establish good genes when you're trying to manage two or three colors at once. I try to just specialize in a couple colors and while I am working on creating my own new color I don't have dozens of birds to manage so it will probably be a bit easier on me.

From my personal observations, Those that are producing really good spalding patterns and colors are in some cases making them look better and healthier. @Midnightman14 mentioned purples and I have to agree purples can really look terrible sometimes and IMHO its one of the colors that only looks good in the BS pattern spalding or IB. @KsKingBee hit the nail on the head, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Back
Top Bottom