Pet Peeves

Pics
And who is Tom Powell? I know how it's used. And what it's purported to mean. But it's still wrong.

The root word is inspire, to breathe, not conspire. Add prefix co-, meaning, as stated above, "with one or more others," and you get "conspire." There is no need to add another prefix, another "co-." That would be redundant. And silly.

Take "cooperate." Root word is "operate." Two or more people "cooperate." You would not say three or four people "co-cooperate." That's just silly.
See the following movies for relevant data points:
Airplane I & II
Naked Gun trilogy
Almost any British TV comedy series

Butidigress

/end of line.

Sigh. Words are added to the lexicon through usage, however wrong grammatically they may be. That's how "ain't" got into the dictionary in spite of Sister Mary Oliphant assuring us, even with a ruler rapped sharply across our knuckles, that "ain't isn't a word." So yes, "irregardless" is technically a "word," in the sense that people who don't know better do use it, and lexicographers, teeth gritted, acknowledge its usage by including it in the pages of their dictionaries, but ...

In the interest of not saying something I may regret, I'll stop here. I'm not Sister Mary Oliphant, after all. Putting the ruler down. ❤️
That reference point phrase I always heard it was spoken this way,”Ain’t, ain’t a word & you aren’t gonna use it.”

/end of line.

BigBlueHen53

Irregardless and co-conspirators are not real words.
I don't disagree with you. When in elementary school age, my sister and I used to go through our college dictionary and challenge each other on word definitions and etc... I have a Noah Webster 1828 dictionary that I often use to get what I call, a trusted definition of my word choice.

Irregardless, co-conspirator and ain't are not in the 1828 dictionary. I also agree that it's not grammatically proper to register words just because they get used a lot. I mean, don't we already have enough words to describe everything that we know:? Answer: A lot of things that I don't have words to describe what I want to convey, probably simply means that I haven't taught myself the already existing words.

Pet peeve.
But realistically... often not used properly and usually doesn't pertain to the subject at hand, educate yourself!

Back
Top Bottom