Pet Sitting Service. UPDATE LOCATIONS listed in post #1

I have a petsitter I use pretty regularly. First used her in April, I believe. Found her through a google search and she did a free introductory meet and greet.........that is the perfect way to get a "feel" for someone and also ask them tons of questions and see how they interact with your animals. My own pet care is a bit overwhelming. I have 4 indoor only dogs....1 cat that needs 2x daily meds, plus over 100 chickens (and now ducks). She isn't a farm sitter, but is willing to go out and lock the chickens up or let them out in the morning, assuming nothing attacks her or has to be "caught". I make sure there is plenty of food and water to last for the trip so she doesn't have to mess with that.

She charges me $18 per half hour visit. I consider that a STEAL considering how much work has to be done. But it still costs me $54 a day to go anywhere. My longest trip ever will be labor day. Leaving Thursday afternoon and coming back Sunday night. And now I've added 2 bunnies to the "family"....which will get the biggest water bottles and bowls of food ever for my next trip. The only problem I've had so far is that I didn't leave specific instructions on which pens to NOT open one visit and the rooster pen got opened up and a big rooster rumble happened while I was gone. Nobody died but one boy was pretty torn up. I can't blame her for that as it really is kind of confusing and she doesn't even HAVE to take care of the chickens if she doesn't want to. My solution to that is to padlock the pens I don't want opened in the future and make "cards" i can hang on the cages that say "DO NOT OPEN" or "OPEN FOR DAYTIME ONLY', etc.

Quote:
You have some GREAT ideas! Your instructions sound like the farm manual that I have. I will have to create a barnyard/chicken house floor plan describing exactly what you described. I have been working on all of this for weeks in hopes to take a vacation in November but it is NOT looking good at this time.

Quote:
What an incredible idea!! There are websites where people can trade homes to visit another country and avoid the hotel expenses. It could be something like that- but I'd still never get to participate.

I have a rooster that has to be tube-fed 2c. of baby parrot food 2x daily. He hasn't a lower beak due to a vet accident, and he's the most beloved of all of our pets, including the dogs and cats. Good luck explaining THAT to the in-laws as the reason you can't come to Christmas.

He's now 2, and I'm saddened to say that he aspirated some of his food about a week ago and still is having some brochitis-like sounds. It breaks my heart, but at the same time, he's had a great life. Is it terrible to admit I'd be relieved?

Back to topic...

It would be glorious to have a trade agreement for just getting away from the same old scenery- someone else's farm would have that NEW FLOCK smell! It would be a joy to do that for a few days!

ChooksChick, sorry to hear about your rooster. What kind of vet accident was it? What happened?

Quote:
I have friends (besides Wifezilla, who I hope I can count as a friend) here who pet sit who would not pass your criteria and yet they make good money pet sitting and are in high demand. They work at veterinary clinics and do this as side work. I think they would look at your list as a somewhat "high maintenance" as far as comparing differing jobs. My friends have come back with stories about the incredibly silly things they were asked to do for people and their pets that were either ridiculous or bad for the pet or just overly catering to a demanding pet's wishes. You would be surprised. I'm not saying you are overly demanding, but you may not sound like the kind of job they are looking for. It may not be fear or hiding anything, might just be that you sound high maintenance.

For example, one friend says she was hired to stay in the person's house and sleep in the person's bed as part of the agreement. She was fine with this and it is a nice home. But when she got there she learned that she was also required to let the five large golden retrievers sleep ON the bed with her. Yes, I said five. She said when she came to work..."Do you realize what it is like to wake up with FIVE golden retrievers breathing on you?"

I posted something on Craigslist asking the Pet Sitter person to contact me and someone else sent me the Pet Sitter's website. It looks like they have a kennel and they breed pit bulls and german shephards
hide.gif
I have nothing against pitbulls being as though I had one for 13 years before she died.

Check it out and tell me what you think.

http://jrkennels.org/index.html

Gotta love the pic of this dog in the back of the truck with all of the trash. WOW ! So that is how they care for their dogs.? A junky truck with a empty gallon jug and tons of trash. A picture is worth a thousand words. I wonder if this is where Fluffy sleeps????

6612_kennel.jpg

Last edited:
They finally emailed me back and this is what they said.

"I'm replying from my iphone so I can't see all questions, I own 3 dogs, a german shepherd, a rat terrier and a pit. They are all well taken care and my vet will tell you how well they look. I charge by the visits which if you live in xxxxxxx, we can schedule a meet and greet and we can go over pricing and any other questions you may have"

I will email her back and let her know that I'm not interested.

Well, at least they do eventually respond... guess that's something.

Hmmm... did the email actually SAY "Sent from my iphone".. anytime I've gotten an iphone email it IDs as such... just curious, but if they didn't want to answer your questions that could be a way to avoid them without looking like your purposely avoiding them... of course even if it does say From iphone... doesn't mean they weren't sitting at their puter when they sent it. *shrug* Then again, I AM the paranoid one...

That's a gorgeous pup... shame they think such icky transport suits him.

Last edited:
I would run, don't walk, away from that one. A kennel breeding pitbulls known to be game lines? No thanks. Breeding WHITE german shepherds? TOTAL FAIL. Breeding wolf hybrids? Super duper total fail.

Quote:
Yep, the email said "Sent from my iphone". Poor puppy. I feel sorry for it. Looks like THEY need a pet sitter. Nothing wrong with being paranoid. I'm the same way.

panic.gif

Back
Top Bottom