Petit Project Pen

Chipmunk Chicks

Free Ranging
May 24, 2022
New Jersey, USA
Guys! I am kind of excited. Some of you may know that I currently have five pullets growing out in my basement that I've started for a family member. The chicks are 8 weeks old now, and I have officially moved the chicks I've decided to keep out into the coop. We will also be traveling out of state to help him get his own coop and run cleared out, up and running, to receive said pullets. But in the meantime... I gotta get these birds out of my basement. :highfive:

So here's the plan, I have an extra-large plastic dog crate that's about the same size as the big metal crate I've been using as a brooder, which will become their "coop" to sleep in overnight, nested inside a 37 sqft collapsible run I found on Amazon. The crate we have had forever; the run cost me $115. We also have HWC and lumber on hand, tarps, zipties, what have you.

This is not intended to be a permanent enclosure, however we will want to make it secure enough that they can be on grass all day, and sleep securely overnight. It will be used for now to grow out the pullets until their "forever home" is ready, but could be used in the future to quarantine any new birds, or pull out a few birds for breeding purposes, infirmary etc. so I want it to be sturdy enough that I'm not too worried about keeping anybody in there, but also lightweight enough that in the "off season" it can be taken apart and folded up for storage.

Wish me luck!

Thanks guys! ❤️ I'm still wondering just a bit about how it will all go. It's one thing for me to open a box and assemble something 😅 but I'm hoping to enlist DH to help when it comes to reinforcements.

I'm also not completely settled whether we should plan to move it regularly like we do our main run, or just let it sit in one spot, possibly adding shavings or mulch as needed. We rent, and the landlord said moving the big pen around would be fine (Ha!) He doesn't want us to kill off the whole lawn, but I'm thinking for such a small little weedy disused spot right up on the house anyway, maybe it would be fine to leave it in place.

So speaking of small steps, I think today I want to get out there, measure again, pull some weeds, and see if the spot needs to be leveled out a bit.

Pics soon!

I say sort of do both. One week on a new part of the lawn, the next week on another, next week one more. Then for two weeks move them to a designated area, with mulch, no live grass
I think I saw someone with the same pen who attached it to a bit of a wood frame, and then added a nice strap to make it easy to pull. I might try something like that.

The other concern I had though is if I want to enclose the bottom with HWC... Idk how unsatisfying or ouchie that may be on the chickens' feet to scratch the grass and hit the cloth, (somewhat defeats the purpose), vs. a mulch situation where the HWC is covered up enough that they are scratching bedding anyway.

At least one of the reviews said this thing is light enough that a raccoon could just lift it right up off the ground, so I'll need to do something to weight it, and/or attach it to a base so it can't easily be flipped, or even if it were to flip, the birds are still contained. :/

20230617_142903.jpg

This is the spot where I plan on setting it up.
20230617_144525.jpg

I raked up some debris and pulled a few weeds. It's looking decidedly sloped here to the right of the little crate, so I might have to see if DH can help me level it out later this week somehow.
20230617_175246.jpg

I measured and put some flags out where I would like it to sit.
20230617_175901.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm really not sure what to do about all this milkweed. Good for butterflies, bad for chickens. I would like to maybe just move it into a bucket or something, but it's also infested with lantern flies. Going to have to break out the Neem oil, as they are attacking the grapevine as well, but I'm honestly not sure how much it's worth trying to save and relocate. I pulled a couple smaller ones that were sprouting up right in the middle of where the pen will go, but these others are just right adjacent. :/
20230617_181523.jpg

I also pulled the crate out and measured that. It's 40" x 27" at the longest and widest, so I'll have to put it lengthwise in order to be able to open the door, which is what I figured. The door adds another 15" open wide, so it's probably going to be a bit awkward, but we're going to make it work. It's also making me think though, I don't see how I can very well enclose the whole thing in HWC on the bottom, if I ever hope to be able to get the crate out and clean it. Haha. 🤔🤔🤔

Screenshot 2023-06-16 223536.jpg
Capture.PNG

This is a picture of the pen and dimensions from the internet, in order to help visualize. I believe it comes with one or two lightweight tarps / shade cloths, so we'll see how that all goes together whenever that comes in. Yay!!!

If you are concerned about a raccoon moving it, use tent stakes. One at each corner and a few in between in corner. You can also get electric netting and put it around the pen. This will keep out dogs, raccoons, fox, but might not keep out weasels. Cheaper and easier than messing with HWC.

Back
Top Bottom