PG 32 to 39 Cindy & Tori's AWESOME! hatch! Plus PICS!!

WOO HOO! Congrats Mark!!! Hope you have a great hatch!!!

I've got eggs coming out of my ears. I canned/pickled 5 pints (24 eggs in each jar) last weekend and have almost 100 more in the fridge. They are good to eat any way you eat chicken eggs, but I find they are hard to peel unless they are a week or two old. Even then sometimes.

I'm trying to get into the quail egg market, and am waiting for a return call from an inspector from the Ohio Dept of Agriculture to schedule an appt. In OH, in order to sell eggs off your property, you have to be certified. To be certified, you have to sell the eggs in your own cartons (can't recycle from other stores - copyright thing I think). There's some markings that have to be on there, and the eggs have to be refrigerated. That's it. Sounds simple enough for me!

I just love these birds (especially stuffed & with gravy LOL). I have a hard time doing the deed with chickens, but these are easy.

lol i never thought about that.. we have china town right here in DC

talk about fast cash! and you are right though my uncle knows this chinese guy and this guy wants my uncle to kills 8+ chickens a month for him and he pays $20 per chicken!
ep.gif

i was like ( do you have any cousin that want chickens? ) LOL you can't beat that

Quote:
i agree
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
So you DO find these easier to dispatch than a chicken? I had heard you could use sharp kitchen shears and thought that by the time I started to hesitate it would be over? I almost envisioned myself standing at the sink chopping up little quail.
th.gif
What is the meat like? More like chicken? Duck? Neither? I have never eaten quail.

Oh absolutely they are easier, and much less mess and time. I use a chef's knife, cutting board and newspaper. Sometimes poultry shears, but the chef's knife seems to work better for me. It's over in 2 seconds.

We ate them for the first time last weekend and I thought they were WONDERFUL. There's not alot of meat on them, but it is really good. Not gamey at all - tastes just like chicken but more like the dark meat. I was worried the meat would be dry (I left them whole with the skin on) but it wasn't at all. I've been feeding them cracked corn with their feed, and the males had a nice fat layer on their breast. Loved it so much I'm going to put all of next week's eggs in the incubator and keep cycling them.

Back
Top Bottom