*Photo Attached* Please Advise.

How do eggs "Look fertilized"? Please answer!

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking? The eggs in the OP's original thread starter are how eggs look when they are fertilized. They will have a white ring called a blastoderm around a tiny white dot called the ovum. This is caused by all the cells starting to divide across the surface of the fertilized egg, the beginning stages of embryo formation. When an egg is not fertilized, all you will see is the ovum itself, and not the blastoderm (the ring that is embryonic development).

Last edited:
What on earth is impregnating your hens, then??:th   You're sure you don't have a neighbor with a curious rooster?

I don't how they could possibly be fertile. No chickens or roosters anywhere near that I have seen (other than my own). I live in a suburban neighborhood so I can't imagine not noticing one come into my yard.

I threw a few eggs in the incubator Monday and nothing grew.

Okay...is it at all possible that you have a rare case of parthenogenesis going on in your flock somewhere?? According to studies, some eggs even being UNfertilized will begin embryo formation and even have the blastoderm... but they don't develop beyond that when incubated because they lack the gene composition (which would explain why your incubated eggs were duds).
hu.gif

Edit - forgot to include the link

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/artic...-normal-fertilization-and-embryonic-mortality

Last edited:
Is this the same thing? Hope you can see the white bullseye in the eggs. We have 3 chickens, 2 have just started laying and the GLW is making noises to start laying soon.

This is my girl.she has 3 rows of bumps on her comb.

I've been checking out this thread to see what others have to say about sexing EEers or Ameraucanas.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included
I hope this helps

Gorgeous girl, thanks for posting the photos! I'm still at odds with my eggs as I have 5 chickens who sometimes all lay in the same day. No males. Not sure why my eggs appear as if they are fertile.

Back
Top Bottom