Photos of your predator proof coop/run please!

Lyranonamous

Songster
9 Years
Nov 23, 2013
Freeville NY (near Ithaca)
We just trapped a 5th opossum on our land and I would love to see photos of coops/runs that are really predator proof. Any info (or photos) of what predators have been unsuccessful at getting to your chickens would also be helpful. Some of you have mentioned keeping chicks safe with bobcats and bears pressure-we would love to see how you do that, and what else you're using (cameras, dogs, llamas, donkeys, etc)

This is my coop, it’s 100% predator proof
C2F52453-9A77-4D62-B19E-5C8CDA6DC3C6.jpeg
BE0BFB85-060E-49BB-8171-94C83E1E4CCA.jpeg
786BC037-DE91-415D-ABC2-E978AAE9FCD0.jpeg

There is fencing that goes around the coop as you can see but there’s a gap in the fence that Lets them out into the field as they are free range. I also have some chickens in my auld farmhouse. it’s predator proof aswell

Foxes are the only real threat in my area

My dogs shed is beside the hen house so that keeps the foxes away from them.

This is my run fenced with 1/2" hardware cloth, brought out 18" for an anti-dig apron and secured with landscaping pins. That is surrounded by an electric fence kicking out 7500 volts and the top is covered with deer fence. (Don't mind the prefab coop in the center - that's only a segregation/integration coop that the flock likes to use as a day hangout when not in use. I do NOT consider those things predator proof!)
run is done.jpg

I consider my coop and attached run predator proof. Everything is covered in hardware cloth (including the windows) secured with screws and covered by trim. All latches have carabiners as additional safety.
There’s a hardware cloth apron, the whole frame also sits on patio tiles to keep it level and to help keep the wood from rotting. The frame is screwed into the 4 corner tiles.
The coop and attached run sit within a fenced area that they range in when we’re home.

We routinely see raccoons and coyotes on the bush trail cam 200’ from the chickens. No fatalities so far.

The only thing that could get in there is a bear. There’s power to the coop so if a nuisance animal started showing up I could run a couple strands of electric.

Attachments

• C551BC90-4641-4402-B554-432EA259D700.jpeg
    C551BC90-4641-4402-B554-432EA259D700.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 30
I consider my coop and attached run predator proof. Everything is covered in hardware cloth (including the windows) secured with screws and covered by trim. All latches have carabiners as additional safety.
There’s a hardware cloth apron, the whole frame also sits on patio tiles to keep it level and to help keep the wood from rotting. The frame is screwed into the 4 corner tiles.
The coop and attached run sit within a fenced area that they range in when we’re home.

We routinely see raccoons and coyotes on the bush trail cam 200’ from the chickens. No fatalities so far.

The only thing that could get in there is a bear. There’s power to the coop so if a nuisance animal started showing up I could run a couple strands of electric.
Very impressive! I saw a NOLS video of grizzly bears getting zapped by electric fences and, surprisingly they didn't continue.

I built my coop on a concrete slab, nothing is getting through it.
inside coop.jpg

And I built my 600sqft fully enclosed run with 2x4x6' welded wire that I buried 1' deep. I added a net canopy supported by aircraft cable and turnbuckles.
Corner post with wire..jpg

I haven't had any issues with predators.

This is my coop, it’s 100% predator proof
View attachment 1630512 View attachment 1630513 View attachment 1630514

There is fencing that goes around the coop as you can see but there’s a gap in the fence that Lets them out into the field as they are free range. I also have some chickens in my auld farmhouse. it’s predator proof aswell

Foxes are the only real threat in my area

My dogs shed is beside the hen house so that keeps the foxes away from them.

That is one beautiful coop

Very impressive! I saw a NOLS video of grizzly bears getting zapped by electric fences and, surprisingly they didn't continue.

Growing up we had a couple bee hives at my parents farm, they sat in a 10' x 10' space with four strands of electric fence. Animals, including bears are smart though. We had to put it on a back up generator because two weeks in a row we had power outages in the middle of the day and within an hour the bears were in there tearing the hives a part. I assume they were wandering by and noticed the fence wasn't pulsing. This is why I would never solely rely on electric, especially in an area with a high concentration of bears.

Back
Top Bottom