(Photos)Wet Pox? Gapeworm? CRD? Rooster with SEVERE mucus & lesions everywhere inside mouth

Serenity Sav

Songster
8 Years
Jan 23, 2014
Albuquerque
86DE559C-C03B-4426-BB56-EB4EF8B0A783.jpeg 3D9B447E-C6E2-4B25-9F26-3087902BD6B1.jpeg 2FF75D01-451D-4909-8A3B-37743B11745F.jpeg A few days ago I adopted a rooster from the local animal shelter. He has been in quarantine in a separate area.
Upon inspecting him, I noticed he was gurgling and gasping constantly. The inside of his mouth was riddled with big dry hard lumps of mucus. I’ve had hundreds of chickens in my life and never have seen such a severe affliction of mucus.
I gently cleaned his mouth and throat with an iodine tincture, have been giving him antiobiotics (duramycin 72-200) and Tylan 50 + VetRx orally. He hasn’t improved at all, and the crusty mucus returns inside his mouth within hours.

I’ve swabbed his throat and don’t see worms, though in his nasal cavities I regularly see tiny black “strings” mixed into his mucus.

Any guidance on what is afflicting him??

Duramycin 1cc injected between wing blades.
Tylan 50 orally, I mixed about 1cc with a bit of water and gave orally in hopes it would help his mouth/trachea infection quicker.

I also have gallamycin pills, bactrim tabs, doxycycline 20% powder and in pill form, and tetracycline powder. I was adding doxy and tetra powder to his drinking water but stoppped as it seemed to make his breathing more labored and made his saliva more sticky and gooey.

Sorry the animal shelter pawned this sick bird off on you like this!! Glad you have him in quarantine, and hope your other birds remain healthy. Please, though... notify the facility you got this rooster from of the problem, they need to know about it.

I don’t have a scale but he is gigantic! Hes bigger than my biggest RIR and barred rock roos have been.
8 pounds? 10 pounds?
All the drugs you have need to be given by weight to be effective.
The Tylan 50 dose is much higher than people think, it's no less than 0.2 ml per pound 3-4 time a day, so a 10-pound rooster would get 2 ml 3-4 times a day. If you haven't been giving that much Tylan 50, you could try giving that higher amount instead.

8 pounds? 10 pounds?
All the drugs you have need to be given by weight to be effective.
The Tylan 50 dose is much higher than people think, it's no less than 0.2 ml per pound 3-4 time a day, so a 10-pound rooster would get 2 ml 3-4 times a day. If you haven't been giving that much Tylan 50, you could try giving that higher amount instead.
He’s a good 8 pounds or so.
Do you think I should continue to administer the 50 orally? I’ve been getting fearful of giving him liquid meds because it really makes his mouth gooey fast and I’m afraid he will asphyxiate.
I can get the stronger Tylan 200 if it would be better.

Back
Top Bottom