Pickle problems...

holachicka

Songster
10 Years
Jan 4, 2010
Folsom, CA
I have freely admitted that I have an addiction... I NEED dill pickles... so, for the first time I'm growing pickling cucumbers galore, and am hoping for some suggestions! I Absolutly love the flavor of Vlasic Zesty Dills, and was hoping someone had a recipe that might resemble the same flavor... I also plan on trying out a hot garlic dill recipe... Would love any suggestions!! Please keep in mind that I *hate* sweet pickles...
smile.png
Thanks everyone!!!

I have yet to find the right recipe. But Google is our friend for that. If I find a decent one, I'll post a link!

I am almost as concerned with trying to have the dill and the cukes grow and be ready at the same time. Happens every year, the dill is all gone by the time the cukes are ready.

smile.png

This is a Kosher dill pickle recipe that is really good. I've made (4) 1-gallon jars so far this year and have given 1 whole gallon away to rave reviews... 7 people have asked for the recipe. You can add a little more dill seed to get a more intense dill flavor and you can also add red pepper flakes to put a bite into them if you like. And you can also add a little more salt to up the sour factor if you like.

Claussen Kosher Pickle Copycat

Ingredients
· 1 gallon cucumbers
· 1/3 cup dehydrated minced onion
· 2 teaspoons dehydrated minced garlic or 6 garlic cloves, minced
· 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
· 4 teaspoons dill seed
· 1 1/2 quarts water
· 2 cups cider vinegar
· 1/2 cup canning salt…(I couldn’t find canning salt so I just used plain table salt with no iodine)

Slice cucumbers lengthwise into quarters add to jars.
Boil liquids and seasonings for 5 minutes to dissolve the salt and wake up the flavors, then cool. Pour over pickles and let sit on counter for three days turning them occasionally. Then refrigerate. They will keep for a year.
Please do not try to use the regular grocery store cucumbers, they have wax on them and they will not turn out. You can use grocery store pickling cucumbers, as they are not waxed.

HomemadeKosherPickles001.jpg

Last edited:
Found this recipe online and I am in the process of making them now I am on day 3 so far they smell wonderful

UKRANIAN DILL & GARLIC PICKLES

5 pounds of small pickling cucumbers
4 qt water
3/4 cup of kosher salt
1 bunch of fresh dill stalks
2 bulbs of garlic cloves separated and peeled
1 tbsp whole black peppercorns
1 small fresh red chili pepper thinly sliced

soak cucumbers overnight in cold water
Sterlize a 1 gallon jar or ceramic container.
Combine water,salt in large pot bring to boil
prepare cucumbers by triming ends and making a small slit in sides with a sharp knife

In bottom of container place several stalks of dill , half of garlic cloves, about 10 peppercorns and a slice or two of red pepper
arrange half cucumbers over seasonings then repeat layers
When brine comes to a boil pour over cucumbers to cover. Place a small plate on top o picles to keep them submerged. Store in cool place
Pickles ready in 4-10 days depending on how warm it is. Once they have fermented to your liking refrigerate.
I read that you should check them after 4 days for taste. It may bubble when you open this is normal
My grandaguhter is counting the days to pickle tasting time lol

Back
Top Bottom