***PICS*** Hen Stuck in Molt & Sick (Yellow Skin, Orange Comb and Wattles)

That's why I'm puzzled - it has been SO HOT & DRY here all June-Sept. (I'm talking upper 90's, lower 100's, record breaking heat and very arid). I have never seen/found mold anywhere in the coop, pen, my house or anywhere on the property for that matter.

She hasn't pooped much today and so far, it doesn't look like she is taking in much liquid. (Small, fairly dry droppings). I haven't personally seen her drink her water yet, but hoping she has/does/will. Thanks!

Do you add misters? That could cause a mold issue.

I am jumping into this late and have not read all of the posts. Mareks, regardless of being vaccinated can cause cancer at a later time. 2 to 5% of chickens will get the cancer. I had a hen stop laying last October. She got sick and died this August so it took that long for Mareks to kill her.

I know it was Mareks because California provides small flock owners a free Necropsy service.

Keep giving her the ACV and the Oxine too. If it is not Mareks and is a compromised immune system she might recover.

hugs.gif

Ron

No, I did not have any misters this summer. The Co-op didn't have any Oxine, nor had they ever heard of it. I guess I will have to order some. I am so frustrated! Another one of my hens (the other Twin to the aforementioned one) seems to have difficulty breathing now. Her comb is slightly changing purple. So there must be a fungus/mold somewhere or perhaps the second Twin has a URI...darnit. I'm positive the Hubby won't want me to bring another chicken inside to the Chicken Hospital...10 days was enough for him. I'll be moving the first hen out today.

No, I did not have any misters this summer.  The Co-op didn't have any Oxine, nor had they ever heard of it.  I guess I will have to order some.  I am so frustrated!  Another one of my hens (the other Twin to the aforementioned one) seems to have difficulty breathing now.  Her comb is slightly changing purple.  So there must be a fungus/mold somewhere or perhaps the second Twin has a URI...darnit.  I'm positive the Hubby won't want me to bring another chicken inside to the Chicken Hospital...10 days was enough for him.  I'll be moving the first hen out today. 

Is it possible that they have capillary worms? And have you wormed them?

Last edited:
Her skin is so yellow!  Is this an indication of a liver problem?!  I went ahead and wormed her.   I will start her on the post-worming flush tomorrow. (Applesauce, yogurt, crumbles, little molasses and warm water).  She is eating fairly well.  LOVES her mealworms.  She is finishing up her antibiotics today.  I really don't know what else I can do.  Gosh darnit.  I did catch her preening this morning.  :) 

What did you worm her with?

we had a Barred Rock hen named Pretty Girl she looked the same but it turned out to be MOLTING .
bow.gif

I'm not familiar with capillary worms. I had planned to worm them tomorrow. Will Ivermectin take care of capillary worms as well? The first twin (in the pictures) doesn't look any better, but she is still ranging with the rest of the flock all day. I don't know that she is eating though. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom