Pics of my new duck's 'injured?' wing

YakLady

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Detroit area
I posted a few days ago that I had picked up some ducks from an elderly lady that could no longer care for them. When I got them home, I noticed one of the females had some blood on her wing. I picked her up and looked, but could not find an injury. All I saw was a lot of dried blood under the wing. She was upset, so I put her back down. Today, I brought her inside and put her in the tub to clean off, then took a closer look. Once again, I couldn't see anywhere where the skin was broken. The wing, though, was obviously full of blood, or bruising. I don't know anything about ducks, so I took some pics hoping you could help. Will this just mend in time by itself? She has no problem moving it-she was flapping around and playing in the water in the tub. She does look as if she holds it slightly lower when she's walking. Other than that, though, she's eating and drinking, running around, playing and even laid an egg this morning. I also noticed that her head is bald. Maybe from the drakes?

36285_pc080083.jpg

36285_pc080080.jpg

36285_pc080079.jpg

36285_pc080078.jpg

36285_pc080074.jpg

36285_pc080073.jpg

36285_pc080072.jpg

Having the feathers plucked off the back of her head is typical when a hen is being overbred by drakes. This may also account for the bare spots on her wings. I guess she could have been beaten up pretty bad which might explain bleeding bruises. These do seem to be injuries rather than any disease, and since she is doing so well otherwise I would expect her to heal up with no problems.

I have to agree with the previous poster. If you see it occurring again separate them and see if that doesn't eliminate the problem.

I have a duck that is getting harassed by some of my geese, and the geese will typically grab the duck by the wing (right in the area where your girl is bruised) and try to drag the duck around. I've seen it time and again. I am curious whether your girl could be getting grabbed aggressively by her coop mates. She has some signs of rough handling with the feather loss on the back of her neck, so I am inclined to think this wing bruising is also related to that. Barring any unforeseen complications, her wing should be fine in time.

I'd keep an eye on the drakes. You may have one that is not very nice to his ladies.

Ok, thanks. That sheds some light. The sweet elderly lady who I got these ducks from also had a huge goose. They were all housed in a very small coop, relative to how many birds were in there together. She had 6 or 7 roosters of various breeds, only a few hens, 4 drakes with about 8 females, and a huge goose (toulouse? don't know how to spell it). I took all the drakes. One is an Indian Runner, and I'm keeping him as a pet. The 3 Pekin drakes are going to the processor on Friday with one of my Cayuga drakes. That will leave me with just 1 Cayuga drake (who prefers his Cayuga girls and stays away from the Pekins) and the IR drake. In addition to this girl that's pictured, I brought home another female. I already had 1 Pekin named Daisy, so that gives me 3 Pekin females who will be much more at peace with these drakes gone. Thanks again... I was pretty sure that it was an injury of sorts, but I know that birds have a hard time with coagulation. The first day she was here, there was a little fresh blood on her wing, but no abrasion. The wing is so full of blood that it must be oozing out of her feather holes or something. It hasn't oozed in a couple of days, though, and as you can see I got her thoroughly soaked yesterday. Hopefully whatever bleeding is happening on the inside of her wing has stopped.

Back
Top Bottom