Pics of my RIR and Barred Rock chicks

poussin_noir

Songster
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Katrine, Ontario
We had a nice sunny day out so I took the chicks out for some fresh air. There almost 3 weeks old, and everyone is healthy so far.
Brutus supervised and made sure non wandered off too far, I'm glad he loves watching them.
One question I have is, the new feathers on the RIR are for the most part a deep auburn but some chicks are more of a light orangy red. Are RIR various shades of red?
Does this mean there mixed or is this what happens when you get hatchery quality chicks?

I love the colors in this pic!
DSCF4676.jpg

DSCF4681.jpg

DSCF4706.jpg

DSCF4719.jpg

Where do you think your going?
lol.png

DSCF4716.jpg

I love my chicks.
DSCF4726.jpg

Chick booty.
DSCF4645.jpg

I don't know much about the color variance.

We hatched some RIRs, they looked different when they were feathering, but their color is changing as they get older, they are about 6 weeks old, now. They are all turning out to be near the same color. Our RIRs came from a breeder, and they have a deeper red color than most hatchery birds.

Here's my roo, Rudy
100_1190-1.jpg

Here's my two hens, Ethel and Lucy
100_1237.jpg

I'll try to post pics of our chicks, but I am on a different computer and for some reason won't let me access those pics. But your chicks look like our chicks did.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thank you!
I hope my chicks look half as good as your when they grow up.
So your saying the chicks feathers will vary in color while their feathers change ,until they get there adult feathers?

I have two RIRs and one is a bit lighter than the other one especially on the neck. The lighter part almost seems like it is going away though.

RIR chicks do have varying shades of orangey red and get darker as the get the adult feathers in.

I have pic of some my RIR chicks, they are about 2 months old in this pic. You can see the varience in reds.

071208_rir_chicks_playpen.jpg

Back
Top Bottom