Pics of Orpington chicks please!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by joletabey, Nov 23, 2009.

1. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    I have one little blue orpington chick with my bunch of Delawares. She looks very different in her wing set, and is a bit slower to develop than the Dels, and I would love to see pics of other orpington newborns or up to two weeks old so I can compare my baby- I love her to pieces!!! (I am assuming a girl - if I wish it hard enough, etc.)

2. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    They look like cutie chicks [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Here are mine – I also have some Orps and Orp Xs being raised at the same time. The differences are amazing.

Here are some pics of the orps at 2 days old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here they are at 13 days old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two of the Orp Xs at 13 days
    Orp Cochin
    [​IMG]
    Orp EE
    [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

I also have some in the house. The splash is a hatchmate to the Orp group outside. The dark chick is a Orp/Cochin cross – hatchmate to the outside Orp/Cochin. The blue is an older Orp/EE cross who shares the broody with these two chicks.

Couple days old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At 17 days:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My purchased eggs hatched Orpington chicks were slower to feather, and also have a distinct shape difference. So much difference that for awhile I wondered if I had “broke” them somehow – raising outside in too cold of temp – feed or something equally silly. Their shape is also different than my hatchery chicks that I raised earlier this year – all breeds have roughly the same shape and feathering age – Buff Orps, Delawares and EEs. The Orp cross chicks all have the same Orpington father (non Hatchery) but hatchery mothers.

6. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    Thank you so much, this helps a LOT!!!! My little blue is about right! Gosh these are pretty, pretty chicks! I am hoping she is a hen- I wouldn't mind finding her a hubby and a playmate next spring -

7. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    I do not have pictures but my orps feathered and matured at a lot slower rate than the delawares.Even at 2 months old there is a huge difference in development.I think the bbs orps are just a little slower getting started but they do grow to be huge. [​IMG]

8. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    JamesA,
    Thank you to you, too. I am really excited about this baby, as well as the Dels- I hope it's a her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by