Pics of the flock, need some help with ID's

porkchop48

Songster
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Malta, OH
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=7047530#p7047530

There
is the link to how I got them. Kinda. The ladies husband wanted her to just let them go in the woods, she was trying to rehome them before that happened.

They seem to be massively molting. I have been feeding them chick starter, layer crumbles and all kinds of left overs ( ribs, sausage, peaches, apples, etc) I will be picking up oyster shells for them tomorrow.

It looks a little crowded but I was trying to round them up to get some semi decent pics. Yes I failes at that... But it is a start.

Rooster one -

2011_0731chickens0009.jpg

2011_0731chickens0008.jpg

Rooster two - Which I absolutely love

2011_0731chickens0007.jpg

2011_0731chickens0006.jpg

Some hens

2011_0731chickens0005.jpg

2011_0731chickens0004.jpg

2011_0731chickens0001.jpg

2011_0731chickens0010.jpg

2011_0731chickens0011.jpg

And an odd ball hen... any ideas?

2011_0731chickens0002.jpg

2011_0731chickens0003.jpg

Looks like you have some beautiful chickens, I'm glad you are giving them a better life. Looks like maybe RIR I see. Perhaps also BO's! I'm not all that good at guessing!! Good luck!

Ok, I am new to this but know some of the breeds. The black and white look like barred rocks, the golden colors look to be buff orpingtons (I have these &
love.gif
them) the reddish one could be either a rhode island red or new hampshire red. Your odd ball I have no idea on and also no idea on the pretty colored rooster. Could be mutt chickens (heinz 57). I wish you the best in getting these chickens back to where they should be. You are terrific for rehoming them.

I also thought the black and whites are Barred Rocks but are the combs on them seem alittle large? I'm looking at my hens and there combs are smaller.

It's a bit hard to tell but it looks as if many of the chickens have moderate to severe leg mites. I think the problems with some of the feather picking will diminish since they have adequate space and no more over-crowding. It will be quite a task to treat all those leg mites. Good luck and remember that "no good deed......"

May also want to check bottom of feet for bumblefoot. In one pic of the gray chicken, there is a rounded area on her right foot.

Last edited:
Great Job to you!! your odd one looks like one of my easter eggers. Doesnt look like moulting to me either. Cant imagine turning them loose in the woods! what a horrible way to go for them. You deserve a medal!!

How do I treat leg mites? And what is bumble foot?

Oh my all kinds of things to learn.

They have gifted me with 7 eggs already today though :)

Back
Top Bottom