Picture Of The Week (POW) Information & Submissions

Maple one of my chicken hens and Ducky my drake enjoying a snack
View attachment 3677846
That is a beautiful picture! But I have a question: why do you have a chicken hen with a drake? If a drake breeds a chicken hen, he will either severely injure or kill her. It's not safe to have the two species together. Sorry for asking a seemingly rude question, but I don't want any birds harmed.

My broodies are nuts.
These 3 have been sharing since it started warming up.
They have even figured out how to share the egg. Chavi & Tsuri both have a wing over it & are wrapped round each other. 🙄

20231124_121501.jpg

That is a beautiful picture! But I have a question: why do you have a chicken hen with a drake? If a drake breeds a chicken hen, he will either severely injure or kill her. It's not safe to have the two species together. Sorry for asking a seemingly rude question, but I don't want any birds harmed.
Your question is fine. So I have all my 15 chickens and 8 ducks in the same pen and they do great! my drake doesn’t mess with the chicken hens unless they are bothering his Duck hens and he’ll peck them a little bit to get them to go away. I think the rooster and drake duck have a little understanding and they stay away from each other’s girls. They’ve been together for about a year and a half now and I haven’t had any problems. I see them every day and I watch out for any problems. Also they were out free ranging when I took this picture

Last edited:
Your question is fine. So I have all my 15 chickens and 8 ducks in the same pen and they do great! my drake doesn’t mess with the chicken hens unless they are bothering his Duck hens and he’ll peck them a little bit to get them to go away. I think the rooster and drake duck have a little understanding and they stay away from each other’s girls. They’ve been together for about a year and a half now and I haven’t had any problems. I see them every day and I watch out for any problems. Also they were out free ranging when I took this picture
That is great! My drake seems to like attempting to breed chickens more than duck hens, unfortunately, so we have to keep them separate.

View attachment 3683401
Angel my Dominique, who sadly passed away today. I found her today acting sick, and before I could do much she hadn't made it. Not sure what was wrong. 😢
She was my favorite hen, and the most personable one I've ever had. She's been through so much. I can't believe she's gone, it was so sudden and unexpected. 💔
I'll miss you so so much! ❤️ RIP: 2/23/22 - 11/13/23.
Sorry for your loss. She looks lovely.

That is great! My drake seems to like attempting to breed chickens more than duck hens, unfortunately, so we have to keep them separate.
Ducky I got when he was a day or two old and I’ve trained him to obey me for the most part. 2 months ago Ducky lost has top/favorite mate which he has been with since he was little. So he is a little more quiet right now. 13 of the 15 chickens I hatched so I have been able to train them a little too. I can even pick my rooster up and hold him for a while and he doesn’t try to kill me Lol 😂. I will post a picture of him next.

Back
Top Bottom