Piecing Quilt...my Iron QUIT! ( Top Complete! New Pic post 56!)

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
You've got that sewing machine humming, don't ya! You just don't mess around. Once you start, you don't stop until it is complete!
woot.gif
I can hardly wait to see the completed top!
thumbsup.gif

Have you been thinking about all the extra peices? I know you ..... don't want to waste anything! Hmmmmm, table runner, lap quilt, pillows, pillow cases.... awwww, the possibilities are endless!

Last edited:
I'm debating the extra pieces. I may do a table runner with them. I think I'll just leave the quilt at queen size. I have two rows done with the sashings and the rest of the sashings pinned on each block, but had to stop tonight. Should have the top finished except for borders tomorrow sometime.

It's the thing you must have if you piece quilts, Sal. Yes, they do exist!

BTW, I used an entire 547 yd spool of thread then had to scrounge for more good thread--the cheap Coats&Clark machine quilting thread tangles much more than the good stuff I pay more $$ for.

Oh! Those cast iron things one heats on the stove or in the fireplace. I think I've seen one before.

547 YARDS???
ep.gif

That's going to be beautul, btw,
wink.png
The colors will make for tranquil sleeping. Though I really like the jewel toned one, too.

If it goes out, you still can use the old standby of the hand iron. Be careful with those, they can BURN! I used to see those old ladies around the quilt, one would use the hand iron on her pieces but only with a heavy muslin so it would not scorch the pieces itself.

Beautiful job, Cyn! I got several quilts but HATED making them. I tried it once and don't like it one bit! Nothing ever come out straight.

I agree with the Coats and Clark, my Mom and I used them and they tangle BAD. So for the best and less headache, get the expensive ones.

Robin, thanks for confirming that about the cheapo thread. The other stuff manages like a dream. I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. I can use the cheap stuff to hand quilt, but putting it in the machine wasn't working so well.

Cutting fabric and sewing thousands of pieces over and over again can be tedious, for sure! I usually try to use blocks without a bunch of small pieces. Even if you only did squares and triangles, never curved or tiny pieces, you still have endless possibilities. Trust me, I get very frustrated when I know pieces are cut properly, I have the correct seam allowance and am very careful and things still don't come out the right finished size or go together easily. A quilt doesn't have to be perfect to be stunning, though. Good thing for me!

Coats and Clark would be good for hand sewing, not a problem but a major headache for sewing machine. I think it has something to do how they weaved it.

Back
Top Bottom