Amer

Advocate of Shiloh
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Saw this. The phenotype is clearly pied, but what is the genotype? Are they plucked or is this another gene on the mottled locus?
Screenshot_2021-11-05-08-57-46.png

They look like white chickens wearing "black chicken" costumes for Halloween. :) I have no idea on the question you asked, I just find these really interesting to look at!

To my knowledge, there is no evidence of the pied/piebald gene being discovered or expressed in Gallus gallus domesticus. So while a bird may look that way (phenotype), genetically (genotype) it's just some form of mottling that appears like pied.

What’s the difference between pied and mottled? Is it that pied pigments an animal from the embryo and the pattern doesn’t change.
Not sure if it's the same in chickens - but in parrots:

Mottled - Feathers exhibit both black and white (or colour) on the one feather. Often white tipped. The pattern is usually relatively uniform over the body of the bird (not taking into account other genetic modifiers)

Pied - The entire bird exhibits patches of colour. Patches of White and Patches of black. Each individual feather is usually one colour or the other.

Good example is to google Pied Cockatiel vs Pearl Cockatiel (pearl isn't mottled but the visual effect is close enough for this example)

Back
Top Bottom