Pig Bomb - On the Discovery Channel

Ahhhh, a subject I know about.
I grew up in Southern Florida and hog hunting with my Dad, Uncle and friends.
My uncle had the dog pack, consited of 3-5 dogs. The breeds he used were black mouth cur crossed on pit and/or some type of hound. The hound cross was for trailing, the curs for baying/holding and the pit cross for actual catch.

Hogs down here are like cockroaches, over populated and everywhere. It is not uncommon to see them dead on the side of the road on my way to work.

The piney wood rooter (usually black) is a narrower built, longer snouted and more of a greyhound built type of hog. Smart and nasty. It was not uncommon for people to release domestic into the population on purpose to get size and meat on the offspring.

Of course that was when nearly eveyone could get into the hunting areas and hunt, which kept the population in check.

Now a days, most can't/won't afford to hunt or have no interest/don't know how.

Boars can have good meat if they are shot without getting them hot, immediatly castrating them and gutting them out on the spot.

I currently have a pen raised wild hog in the freezer and have trapped over 50 in the past 3 years on my property. I seamed to have them thinned out and my pasture actually has grass rather than plowed fields and pot holes from the hogs.

There is a local man who will buy the large boars with tusks. He sells them to a game preserve in Ga that has trophy hunts. The bigger the hog and tusks, the more he gets for them. One of the boar I trapped went to him.

Now you have to also have a permit to transport live wild hogs due to psudo rabies.

Quote:
Ain't no way I'm going to follow a wounded black hog through a gooey black swamp at night. If the hog didn't have the decency to die when I shot it, I'd probably wait til it was light enough to see before I'd go in to finish it off. I wouldn't want to get up close and personal to an angry hog. Heck I wouldn't want to get that close to a happy hog.

Quote:
I love your description but I'm a little confused - was hubby skipping back to the car or were the hogs skipping to their date with Dr Death? Who was swinging the corn bucket?

Quote:
Actually Boyd, I would prefer to hunt hogs with something resembling a harpoon sized for Moby Dick but I suspect it would be more awkward than using a rifle. Plus it would tend to tear the meat up. I think you're right about a magnum though, with hollow points. I don't care how fast the round travels, I just want to knock something that dangerous on its butt before it gets anywhere near me. I never expected a deer or rabbit or wild turkey to try and even the score so my old .38 was plenty of firepower.

When I first started reading this thread I thought it was insane to hunt wild hogs outside of an armored vehicle. Apparently people are successfully hunting those things and best of all eating them without attending a funeral first. I was even talking to a friend last night about going on a hunt, so if y'all are crazy, then it's catching.

Until this show I never realized how much of a problem it was. I've got a standing invitation to go to west Texas to my cousins ranch for pigs (which I guess would be boars and javelinas)

He said if someone were so inclined it wouldn't be hard to get a few a day. They hunt from large elevated stands so I guess I could do that..... but to transport the meat back to Michigan would be impractical. Then I found out that there is A feral population here in Michigan also.............

Hey John, want to go hunt some pigs soon
smile.png

Quote:
I could go to Texas too, but now I live in northern Utah so it would be only slightly less impractical to haul meat back here. I've got friends in Idaho (about 4 hours away) who hunt every year so I wrote them an email seeing what's available.

I have a lot of hunters in my family and grew up hearing horror stories about the dangers of hunting wild pigs and avoiding 'em when we were hunting. I probably sound like the biggest chicken, but in high school we lived where we could go surfing every day after school. Grab our boards and walk a few blocks to a place called Shark Country. If we spotted one, we got out of the water, but it wasn't all that big of a deal. We went almost every day. Go figure. I'd go swimming and surfing where sharks were known to be, but the thought of facing a wild pig gave me the heebie jeebies.

Although I enjoy walking all day out hunting, as long as the pig's on the menu and not me I really like the idea of hunting pigs from a stand.

P.S. Shark country was full of coral reefs just a few feet under the water so it wasn't that tough to spot sharks. And we always went with friends so there were plenty of eyes on shore, in the water, and standing on boards.

Last edited:
I live in Florida and its INFESTED with hogs.They can do alot of damage to fields and crops.Luckily I have never seen one on our property.I have went hog hunting tho,Its really fun and gets your adrenaline going.

Quote:
Ain't no way I'm going to follow a wounded black hog through a gooey black swamp at night. If the hog didn't have the decency to die when I shot it, I'd probably wait til it was light enough to see before I'd go in to finish it off. I wouldn't want to get up close and personal to an angry hog. Heck I wouldn't want to get that close to a happy hog.

Quote:
I love your description but I'm a little confused - was hubby skipping back to the car or were the hogs skipping to their date with Dr Death? Who was swinging the corn bucket?

LOL It was hubby's hunting buddy who is a big 6'6" fella that came skipping down the trail swinging the corn bucket. They came to get the truck to pick up the hog.

Back
Top Bottom