Pigeon egg "half empty," still alive?

Bdg1104

Chirping
Nov 16, 2019
Monroe, MI, USA
Hi there, today I candled one of my eggs that is currently on day 13. I try to avoid candling as I'm worried about overhandling the egg. We had some snow and low temperatures last night so I wanted to check if it had survived. It has veins and an embryo that's about 3/4 inch long I'd say. It Looks like pictures of candled eggs I've seen online. The problem is, the egg looks half full of liquid. It looks like if you took an egg and filled it half way with water and then the other half is air, with an embryo inside of course. The "waterline" does not move as liquid would. If this is making sense lol. Is this normal? This part does not look like pictures I've seen online. I'm using a weak flashlight so maybe that makes a difference? Also, there is a bit of poop stuck to the egg. If it's still alive, will that be an issue? Thanks in advance :)

Hmm, I'm having a hard time picturing this - is there any way you could post a picture?

Here is a pic. Not the best lighting but hopefully it gives you an idea. The "waterline" I was talking about is to the right. You can't see the embryo in this pic but I can in real life :)

Attachments

• IMG_8521~2.jpg
    IMG_8521~2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 34
Here is a pic. Not the best lighting but hopefully it gives you an idea. The "waterline" I was talking about is to the right. You can't see the embryo in this pic but I can in real life :)
Yep, definitely air cell. All eggs have that. If it didn't it would die.

Yep, definitely air cell. All eggs have that. If it didn't it would die.

Alright great thank you :) I was worried as I hadn't seen any pics that look like that online but maybe those eggs were still in earlier stages. Thank you for the reassurance :)).

Back
Top Bottom