Pigeon Runt - Rehab attempt

Thank you for your response! How long would you suggest I do this before I start to introduce seed? The last one that I saved I did so by segregating the dad with the baby (mom died) and he basically fed nearly until the baby was feathered in.

Cut off at a certain age and only intervene if its not figuring out how to feed itsself? Hand feed seed from introduction of seed until its figures it out?
I usually like to introduce seeds and water for them to practice with at about 18 days but I keep feeding until they are eating well.

Im using a syringe and it took maybe 5 min each feeding.

View attachment 2623444

This is the nest mate thats being favored.

View attachment 2623445

This is the one Ive been feeding. Still some in the crop but much smaller than it was this morning. Only about 20% full compared to the way I sent it to bed last night.
I think you could feed it again now. I usually try for 2 feelings a day, am and pm, unless the crop is not emptying. I don't think it has to be completely empty between feelings.

So looking at the new fotos and age estimate I think you have a good chance of saving this one.

I meant feedings, not feelings, lol

I think you could feed it again now. I usually try for 2 feelings a day, am and pm, unless the crop is not emptying. I don't think it has to be completely empty between feelings.

So looking at the new fotos and age estimate I think you have a good chance of saving this one.

I meant feedings, not feelings, lol

LOL 2 feelings eh? thats a bunch of feelings! Perfect TY. I just did a fairly large feeding just now 5-6mL. A little more runny this time around hopefully to help clear out whats left in the crop. I hear its pretty hard to get sour crop but I am not sure how hard.

Think I need to get myself one of those cheap little coffee grinders so I can get the feed really fine and uniform, Right now Im just using the same mortar and pestle I use to grind the pheasants crumble and hatched eggs with.

LOL 2 feelings eh? thats a bunch of feelings! Perfect TY. I just did a fairly large feeding just now 5-6mL. A little more runny this time around hopefully to help clear out whats left in the crop. I hear its pretty hard to get sour crop but I am not sure how hard.

Think I need to get myself one of those cheap little coffee grinders so I can get the feed really fine and uniform, Right now Im just using the same mortar and pestle I use to grind the pheasants crumble and hatched eggs with.
Yes, that's perfect - increasing the liquid IF the crop empties too slow. I usually aim for the consistency of ketchup. Another thing you can feed is thawed frozen green peas if you want, popping them in his beak one by one or two by two ... But mainly stick with your formula.
Sounds like work grinding by hand. I used an electric blender.

Yes, that's perfect - increasing the liquid IF the crop empties too slow. I usually aim for the consistency of ketchup. Another thing you can feed is thawed frozen green peas if you want, popping them in his beak one by one or two by two ... But mainly stick with your formula.
Sounds like work grinding by hand. I used an electric blender.

TBH its a pain in the ass. I bought it to use for grinding up egg shells for supplementation to all of my birds. Im really more of a Whiskey kinda guy so I dont actually own a blender anymore.....yeah Im going to go buy a grinder or blender or something.

Quick Update: The bird is up to about 9mL feedings twice a day. It looks like it might be growing but hard to tell after just a day or two without weighing. (My scale might still be packed up somewhere)

Back
Top Bottom