pigeon squab has saw leg after landing please answere emideitly

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
Hello, today my pigeon squab was on a big bucket and it went to fly on the floor. when he jumped on the floor he fell badly and now has a saw right foot, he is trying to walk but is using his wing to help him. I put him in his nest and has stayed there. he foot is not broken and he has got feeling in it. he just is finding it hard to walk. my dad said he will be fine In a couple of days but I want the website to say what they think
please, IN ALL THE POST I HAVE PUT ON THE WEBSITE, THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT: I love my squabs and I would give my life to save there's.

he has no broken bones and is just saw to walk, he has no fractures, and Is not making noises of pain. he just sits there. the parents aren't feeding him because he is not up and about, so I gave him water, he drank and I gave him food, he ate a bit, there is no swelling,

what could have happened, will he be ok, and how soon, can I give him some pure cow milk to give him calcium. please what can I do, will he be ok.

Please answer please

From what you described it sounds like he has a soft tissue injury. I would let him stay calm for a few days and have feed and water near by (just in case the parents neglect the squab). The squab should be starting to pick at food on it's own now.

yeah, the parents are feeding the other squab but not this one now, I will have feed and water but will he be ok with this soft tissue injury and how many days do you reckon till he walks ok again.
please and thanks

You are just going to have to play the wait and see game is my opinion. It is the same as for a human. It all depends on the severity of the injury. If it is just a matter of bruising it may only take a couple of days . If it is a matter of a stretched or damage tendon it may take a week or more.

I have a young squeaker who got his leg tangled in some string off the feed bags and has been limping around for almost 2 weeks. He is going to be fine but it may take another week before he is back to normal.

You may have to hand feed him if he is not old enough to feed himself.

he eats some really small seeds, and enjoys a sip of water, this morning he ate some seeds and a small sip of water, when I get home from school I will make sure he has a propure meal.
He was walking a bit better this morning but still using his wing to aid him.

I left some seeds with him.

the other squab is flying everywhere now and is as big as dad,

with your baby, did you see him getting a little better and could he walk still for short distances?

It just had a severe limp and could get around with out the aid of it's wings. It is still limping somewhat but it will make a full recovery I am thinking. It stayed for the most part quite stationary. It only moved to feed and water and sunbathe. It still flew with the flock for the most part. It also only has one eye but that is another story.

Last edited:
O yare, this morning I checked on mine and he is walking a little but with a limp on the leg, he is much better than yesterday. he is not using his wing to aid him anymore and only uses it when is walking, he flaps it. he is also eating plenty of seeds and drinking plenty of water. the only thing is, he was in his nest and this morning he was on the floor, he definitely flew down there. And his legs were still the same. but do you think it is safe for him to be flying around at this time on his own?.
he is like yours at the moment only trying to walk for food water and light, lucky the whole week has been sunny with 24 Celsius temps: quite warm

what should I do to help do you think he will get better quiker with the info I have given you or like the same like your pigeon.

I would leave him to his own devices. He has gotten the idea to soften his fall with his wings it seem from what you tell me. He will be back to normal in a week I am guessing.

thanks hokum, the other squab is having so much fun flying and following in the steps as it parents, but I have noticed it is a very loyal friend to its saw brother or sister. It stay with it and tries to help him, that is why I have named him (Samson) the great. and the one with the saw foot (lucky) for surviving

thanks hokum, the other squab is having so much fun flying and following in the steps as it parents, but I have noticed it is a very loyal friend to its saw brother or sister. It stay with it and tries to help him, that is why I have named him (Samson) the great. and the one with the saw foot (lucky) for surviving

Back
Top Bottom