Pigeon Talk

What did I do wrong?

I had 10 young birds, that I raised myself. they had loft flown 8-12 times. I took them on their first tiss, where I take all my birds for There first toss, 1\2 a mile away. This is just to give them the idea of how it do it. I released them, they circled as a group, and we headed jome. Waited and waited. It's a day later, and I got one bird back. What happened? did I rush them? I was watching the sky like a hawk, and it as perfectly clear, so I doubt I missed an 'overfly'.if

the one I got back is apparently the best bird. But every single one I tossed had bloodline proven 600 miles. some had the famous "720" blood in them. I'm not saying that my birds can't get lost because their good, but more rollers would have made it back from that distance then what I have gotten back.
Any more since the second one last Thursday?

They're coming along great :) They have a nice mix of colors in their flight feathers.
1592229254435.png

1592229274194.png

1592229288364.png

Last edited:
Just rescued this little one yesterday after trying to catch it for five days. I suspect it’s a “release dove” that couldn’t find its way home after an event. I think I might be hooked, because I’ve wanted a pair or two for nearly seven years now :celebratebut have never been in the right place for them. I’ll probably end up sending a feather in somewhere like UCDavis to check for sex, but I am almost certain its a she.
:idunnoI think I got the bug:th
2FB0B0BD-5DBD-4EC7-88A5-DCB33BCC559A.jpeg

7E5D8DC2-06C3-4760-9FC0-A5EDFFC00F43.jpeg

Any more since the second one last Thursday?
one more. A checker with white flights and beard. I think that's all. But, I will keep hoping.
coming along nicely! One of them is close to a dream bird I want to breed. Solid white with three black flights on each wing.
Just rescued this little one yesterday after trying to catch it for five days. I suspect it’s a “release dove” that couldn’t find its way home after an event. I think I might be hooked, because I’ve wanted a pair or two for nearly seven years now :celebratebut have never been in the right place for them. I’ll probably end up sending a feather in somewhere like UCDavis to check for sex, but I am almost certain its a she.
:idunnoI think I got the bug:th
View attachment 2195908

View attachment 2195916
she is very pretty! I'm glad you are interested. you do know it is a pigeon, not a dove, right?

although I'm super duper glad you caught it, I would hope you would try to find the owner, and ask to purchase several birds off of him. it's obvious the owner took good care of him while it was in his possession. you could likely find the owner through searching for wedding dove releases online, in your area.

Yes, I do know it is a pigeon and not really a dove. It has no bands, and I have looked for the owner but there are quite a few businesses in my area so it would be impossible to know if I’ve found the right one, and from what I’ve researched about them it’s quite common for their birds to go missing. I’m not sure about good care, it is covered with mites and is not very friendly, but that could be from being outside for the extended period of time. Yes, I intend to get more.

Yes, I do know it is a pigeon and not really a dove. It has no bands, and I have looked for the owner but there are quite a few businesses in my area so it would be impossible to know if I’ve found the right one, and from what I’ve researched about them it’s quite common for their birds to go missing. I’m not sure about good care, it is covered with mites and is not very friendly, but that could be from being outside for the extended period of time. Yes, I intend to get more.
Great job rescuing him/her! If you want to get more, and are interested in rescuing, I know there’s quite a few pigeon sanctuaries in California. I was really surprised that rescue pigeons even existed when I first found out!

Back
Top Bottom