Pigeon Talk

So here’s a question for all of you with ferals in your flock, do your ferals look similar to your homers, or do they have that feral “look” I described earlier, like this guy:
07641182-B5B9-45B6-9DEE-518D8C9ACBDA.jpeg

It’s worth noting that this is quite close to the appearance of the truly wild rock pigeon. A similar example can be seen in parts of the world with large feral dog populations, where over many generations they revert back to a dingo-like appearance.
1817E956-AB7B-4C0E-A349-90DE2F9FCCD9.jpeg

So here’s a question for all of you with ferals in your flock, do your ferals look similar to your homers, or do they have that feral “look” I described earlier, like this guy:View attachment 2334818

It’s worth noting that this is quite close to the appearance of the truly wild rock pigeon. A similar example can be seen in parts of the world with large feral dog populations, where over many generations they revert back to a dingo-like appearance.
View attachment 2334820
Let me offer some of my opinions about ferals. (DOGS, CATS, PIGEONS)
FERAL = prolific, and hardy. They survive under harsh conditions, whereas domesticated designer breeds would possibly perish faster.
Ferals live shorter live... I totally agree, but the reason is their nutrition availability.
Take in a feral and provide ideal nutrition,,,, (dog,cat, or pigeon) and is likely to live a long and healthy life.
Natural selection weeds out the weak, and those with health concerns (genetic or other)
This is one of the reasons I am a FAN of feral pigeons. :thumbsup Many readers in this thread here, know my stand on feral pigeons :love,,, This does not translate to me having less :love for all those domesticated pigeons.:hugs

Now lets jump to the feral dogs in the quoted picture. I see them as just LOVING pets as well.
How do you think the one below would survive with that pack???:idunno:gig:lau

dog12.jpg

Of course I LUV this one also:love

I don’t think it belonged to anyone. It had that feral look to it with the small cere/wattle and orange eye, probably descended from at least a few generations of ferals as opposed to a lost pet.
Yeah, feral have that look. a skinny beak to add to the collection. when i had ferals, they were 3/4 the size of my racers. and never grew a big cere. which i wonder why?

Now, that probably wouldn't but I bet a Mexican Hairless would be just fine.
I wouldn't mind having a Xolo at all. The Chinese Cresteds aren't for me, though.
1600198409730.png

Also, BP: the enlarged wattles are definitely a trait selectively bred (just like the enlarged skin around the eyes in some breeds) but I'm not sure what purpose it serves or if its just cosmetic. I've heard that in some popular strains of Racing Homer the ones with the bigger wattles do better but I think its coincidence over correlation. At any rate, your ferals probably wont grow a bigger wattle because the size seems more or less determined at birth. Are you planning on letting your ferals interbeed with your other birds? I wonder how the phenotype of the cross would be.
1600198590613.png

alright, sorry guys... those dogs are ugly! I'm sure they are loving, but still, an ugly inbred pooch! no thank you!

You probably don't like Xoloitzcuintlis or American Hairless Terriers either then, I'm guessing. Or Sphinx cats?

Not a fan of the Powder Puff Chinese Crested I shared a picture of either?

I love them all :love

I didnt see any bands? Was it domestic? My opinion would change if it is a domestic one, as I would have wanted him to rehome it, or keep it.

They're all domestic, as the only wild pigeons live on the sea cliffs off the coast of Europe. Even the most boring blue bar bridge-dwelling pigeon is not like a wild bird, it's descended from domesticated captive animals, like a feral dog. And like a feral dog, it can survive by itself, but not especially well. Both species outside human care live short lives, have high parasite loads, are generally malnutritioned and don't really have the instincts to live in the "wild", so they can only survive around human settlement and depend on human scraps/farmed crops.

Back
Top Bottom