Pigeon Talk

At what age do people put the young birds into another loft? My 2 oldest squabs have yet to come out of the nesting box but 4 of the younger ones I can’t get to stay in. Iv heard some say once underneath the wing is fully feathered?
I sent my squeakers to their new homes at ~32 days for the first 3 I raised this year. I like to make sure they are eating and drinking well on their own. I provide seed mix and water and grit in the nest box so they learn early from watching their parents. By this time they should be feathered (dry) under the wing.

Squabble is now displaying behaviours more like a male. 😮 Thought he was female due to behavours prior when interacting with the other birds (gently preening, trying to hold beaks, squatting and so on) but has started doing behavours more in line with males towards me, and has a jealous streak as one will see at around the 2:12 mark, when I try to give a sunflower seed to Snowbell and Squabble gets offended. Is Squabble just jealous, or is Squabble male?
Still looks female to me, my hen has exhibited similar biting behavior whenever she is upset, like anytime she is sitting on eggs and you dare touch anything nearby.

Still looks female to me, my hen has exhibited similar biting behavior whenever she is upset, like anytime she is sitting on eggs and you dare touch anything nearby.
She has no eggs, but maybe she is being protective of the ‘brood’? She if a hen is just getting her shiny neck feathers. :)
489DFE39-395D-46FA-9BE3-C1E523BC8E76.jpeg
2E3260A4-B242-448B-8E79-749B2D99FF9D.jpeg
BF0B7003-5CF3-4EFD-9988-6C5EF8FF0426.jpeg

Here is a Snowbell being harassed with curious affection.

0620211517b_HDR.jpg
0620211518.jpg

My pair of black homers had these two squabs. Can someone explain why the one is reddish brown? They have had dozens of other squabs now and all the others were black and some had a little white. One other was also noticably odd too though and had a lot of brown.
0426211403a.jpg

Here is that one. Someone said it was cause because the parents are carrying a diluting gene. You guys keep telling me how pigeons cheat so maybe the new one is a result of that. The other pigeons I keep with my black pair is a pair of normal gray racing pigeons and I used to have a pair of whites but something ended up grabbing them unfortunately. All the other birds they are with are other grays and blacks that are all offspring from the other pairs.

Ca
View attachment 2727445View attachment 2727446
My pair of black homers had these two squabs. Can someone explain why the one is reddish brown? They have had dozens of other squabs now and all the others were black and some had a little white. One other was also noticably odd too though and had a lot of brown. View attachment 2727453
Here is that one. Someone said it was cause because the parents are carrying a diluting gene. You guys keep telling me how pigeons cheat so maybe the new one is a result of that. The other pigeons I keep with my black pair is a pair of normal gray racing pigeons and I used to have a pair of whites but something ended up grabbing them unfortunately. All the other birds they are with are other grays and blacks that are all offspring from the other pairs.
Can’t be any help with the color question but beautiful bird!!!

My pair of black homers had these two squabs. Can someone explain why the one is reddish brown? They have had dozens of other squabs now and all the others were black and some had a little white. One other was also noticably odd too though and had a lot of brown.
I don’t have much knowledge on color genetics but my guess is your pigeon has what’s called bronze coloration.
https://mumtazticloft.com/a_Bronze.asp

View attachment 2727445View attachment 2727446
My pair of black homers had these two squabs. Can someone explain why the one is reddish brown? They have had dozens of other squabs now and all the others were black and some had a little white. One other was also noticably odd too though and had a lot of brown. View attachment 2727453
The first picture is a recessive red... so the parents carry recessive red. The second looks like some kind of grizzle. The third appears to have some heavy bronzing (bronze is pretty common in recessive reds so that's where it's probably coming from). It's often pretty interesting what is hidden in the birds backgrounds and sometimes comes out completely unexpected. I personally haven't had ordinary blue bars for years and years, but this year one pair of mine (t-pattern dark check cock and a black hen) raised me a pair of blue bars. I unfortunately missed banding them as I was extremely busy at the time, but hopefully they stick around as they have the physical characteristics that I look for.

Back
Top Bottom