Pigeon Talk

there are at least 9 lost or dumped banded pigeons.
I did want to express my opinion, or view on this portion. 99% chances,, those are lost, or runaways. If a pigeon keeper would want to get rid of a certain pigeon,,, 2 things are likely. Pigeon gets culled. Live poultry stores will purchase extra pigeons. Pigeon keeper removes permanent leg band , and then releases,,, hoping it will not return.
The 1% possibility,,, would be when a pigeon keeper no longer is walking on this earth,, and family disassembles loft. :old :hit

RoostersAreAwesome,,, there are no penalties in your area for feeding ferals???

It was not a JOKE about Chicago being illegal to feed ferals. Of course the 3 years meme is just to express my point. The FINES ARE REAL..:(

Hey there! I'm sorry to butt in.
Yesterday a friend of mine brought me a little squab, he works at a grain elevator in town. He said they were moving grain, and this chick came out of the shute and survived the high fall. He said they've had it happen a number of times and they always die immediately. But he felt bad for this one because it didn't die, and he didn't want to kill it. So he brought it to me. I've never raised a pigeon. I've raised doves, and I'm guessing they're about the same to care for, but he's younger than the doves I've raised. He's already had a number of feedings, which he pigged out on. I just soaked some gamebird crumbles because that's all I had on hand. What should he be eating? Any other tips?
I'm not sure how old he is, but I'm guessing around a week?
IMG_20210830_095254829.jpg

Last edited:

MGG

Squab does look like about 1 week old. Just keep giving him what you have on hand. Do make it thin. Great that he is eating.. 💞 Gets hydration and food in one. There are crop milk substitutes, but they are not as easy to get as going to Walmart, and picking it off the shelf. @Pyxis may be able to chime in with some better solutions than I.
Wishing you and lil one best :thumbsup

I did want to express my opinion, or view on this portion. 99% chances,, those are lost, or runaways. If a pigeon keeper would want to get rid of a certain pigeon,,, 2 things are likely. Pigeon gets culled. Live poultry stores will purchase extra pigeons. Pigeon keeper removes permanent leg band , and then releases,,, hoping it will not return.
The 1% possibility,,, would be when a pigeon keeper no longer is walking on this earth,, and family disassembles loft. :old :hit

RoostersAreAwesome,,, there are no penalties in your area for feeding ferals???

It was not a JOKE about Chicago being illegal to feed ferals. Of course the 3 years meme is just to express my point. The FINES ARE REAL..:(
That’s pretty interesting, I mainly thought they might be dumped just because there’s so many of them.
Here’s a couple of the banded ones I’ve spotted most recently. Unfortunately the first one has string wrapped around both his feet and will probably lose them if I don’t catch him.
E5D5B10F-0F29-471D-B4EF-69958A6B7EE7.jpeg
7456EFAD-9489-484B-8A28-451D670E370A.jpeg

I haven’t come across anything saying it’s illegal to feed the pigeons in my area, thankfully.
Hey there! I'm sorry to butt in.
Yesterday a friend of mine brought me a little squab, he works at a grain elevator in town. He said they were moving grain, and this chick came out of the shute and survived the high fall. He said they've had it happen a number of times and they always die immediately. But he felt bad for this one because it didn't die, and he didn't want to kill it. So he brought it to me. I've never raised a pigeon. I've raised doves, and I'm guessing they're about the same to care for, but he's younger than the doves I've raised. He's already had a number of feedings, which he pigged out on. I just soaked some gamebird crumbles because that's all I had on hand. What should he be eating? Any other tips?
I'm not sure how old he is, but I'm guessing around a week?
View attachment 2817458
You and your friend did a great job rescuing him! Are you going to keep him? I’ve read that it’s much harder for a pigeon raised by humans to survive in the wild, though not impossible.

Unfortunately the first one has string wrapped around both his feet and will probably lose them if I don’t catch him.
:hugsfor doing the right thing.:highfive: How do you intend to capture this one, or others?? I did view some neat ideas on YouTube. I never did make any of such traps.

Thanks! Yup, if he makes it I'll definitely keep him.
Can he live in this with my ducks?
View attachment 2818301
Welcome aboard the pigeon train! That little one will be quite happy in your duck pen, though you might want to look for a friend for him/her. Is that tree inside the netting? Totally awesome!

MGG

Squab does look like about 1 week old. Just keep giving him what you have on hand. Do make it thin. Great that he is eating.. 💞 Gets hydration and food in one. There are crop milk substitutes, but they are not as easy to get as going to Walmart, and picking it off the shelf. @Pyxis may be able to chime in with some better solutions than I.
Wishing you and lil one best :thumbsup
Actually just today my exact handfeeding formula came that I had ordered to tube feed an unwell bird with, can I give him that?
I will! Thank you.
As long as he can’t fit through that netting, it looks good.
My bobwhites can fit through it, but nothing else can. I think the squares are 2x2 in. but I'd have to check.

:hugsfor doing the right thing.:highfive: How do you intend to capture this one, or others?? I did view some neat ideas on YouTube. I never did make any of such traps.
I’m probably just going to catch him by hand, since a trap is likely to be filled with random ferals. :lol: I caught the last one by pinning it to the ground with one hand while it was distracted by food.

Back
Top Bottom