Pigeon Talk

Any issues with feed and water? Does she eat too much, or too little? Drink enough? Proper feed?
She seems to eat a lot, but it could just be her breed- I have no other racing homers to compare her to. I haven’t noticed problems with drinking. She gets fed a dove seed mix which has the same seeds as a pigeon feed I used to buy but with less variety (the pigeon feed isn’t sold locally anymore).

I just took a long video of all my pigeons (44, I believe lol) trying to look at beaks mainly, to make sure I didn’t have any other crossed or deformed. Everybody else looks ok.

I think I’ll make this a monthly practice to aid in a full review of all the birds. Might be a neat comparison for months to come.

Found a pigeon dead this morning. Strangely, I had just noticed the beak deformity yesterday!
She hatched in April 2020, so not a young bird. I feel like I would have noticed the beak issue sooner, I guess I pay more attention to the young ones.
Anyone seen such a thing?
View attachment 2927886
View attachment 2927881View attachment 2927882
Yes it happens... not super often but it's not a rare thing by any means. It's more common in short beaked birds and birds with curved beaks like German Beauty Homers. Sometimes it can happen from parents who are rough feeders (babies beaks are very soft and pliable), and also from genetic defects (definitely don't breed from those as they will pass on those traits). If you caught it earlier you can clip and file it to make it more even, and over time with consistent trimmings you can return to it a somewhat normal appearance, though they usually need to be watched and trimmed for life.

Happy Christmas Eve pigeon people!

I got myself a little Christmas gift this year. Two pairs of Saints! A 2021 pair of splash blacks, and a 2020 pair of a red hen and an indigo cock. The cock also carries dilute so he can throw other colors like yellow and dilute indigo, and he can throw blacks as well.

saints 1.jpg

saints 2.jpg

Happy Christmas Eve pigeon people!

I got myself a little Christmas gift this year. Two pairs of Saints! A 2021 pair of splash blacks, and a 2020 pair of a red hen and an indigo cock. The cock also carries dilute so he can throw other colors like yellow and dilute indigo, and he can throw blacks as well.

View attachment 2938263

View attachment 2938264
:eek: :love

New guys are settling in well. The Indigo cock has an irritated eye, think he probably poked it during shipping. So as of today I've started doing terramycin ointment. He's not going to be my biggest fan after this, lol.

I've decided to name them after saints. Seemed appropriate, haha. So the indog cock is Aloysius, his mate is Rosalia, and the splash blacks are Barnabus and Philomena.

I'm building them their own loft inside my workshop/garage outbuilding. They'll be in the garage half (I've never used it as a garage, but that was what it was originally intended for when built). They're gonna have an indoor loft area in there, and then an outdoor aviary that they will access via a window.

New guys are settling in well. The Indigo cock has an irritated eye, think he probably poked it during shipping. So as of today I've started doing terramycin ointment. He's not going to be my biggest fan after this, lol.

I've decided to name them after saints. Seemed appropriate, haha. So the indog cock is Aloysius, his mate is Rosalia, and the splash blacks are Barnabus and Philomena.

I'm building them their own loft inside my workshop/garage outbuilding. They'll be in the garage half (I've never used it as a garage, but that was what it was originally intended for when built). They're gonna have an indoor loft area in there, and then an outdoor aviary that they will access via a window.
New pics when you get them all set up, please!

How well do they fly with the massive feet feathers?

New pics when you get them all set up, please!

How well do they fly with the massive feet feathers?

They can fly okay, but I'll probably never let them out of the aviary - I'd be worried they couldn't outmaneuver a hawk. They won't be going outdoors until after winter regardless - not building an aviary in the snow, lol! That and I don't really want them to get into temperatures below the teens - they're from CA so they're not used to it. Next year they'll have acclimated so I won't worry.

Back
Top Bottom