Pigeon Talk

@WVduckchick just a quick question regarding broody hens. How long can they stay on the nest without having a poo? Speckle hasn't had one since Friday and I'm a little concerned she will explode soon. Should I just leave her be or take her off briefly?

I’m not sure what the “limit” is, but that sounds like a very long time. Are you sure she hasn’t? (She would have to be hiding it, because you wouldn’t likely miss it lol!) Is she still eating? I think to be on the safe side, I would pull her from the nest, just sit her down a few feet away, if possible. She may not move for a minute (like stunned) but she will soon get up, do her business, maybe grab a bite to eat and drink, and likely go right back to the nest.

do you just use Epsom salt or such?
I don't think it has Epsom salt in it. It just a bath salt for pigeons I got it from the feed store.
DSC_0229.JPG

I’m not sure what the “limit” is, but that sounds like a very long time. Are you sure she hasn’t? (She would have to be hiding it, because you wouldn’t likely miss it lol!) Is she still eating? I think to be on the safe side, I would pull her from the nest, just sit her down a few feet away, if possible. She may not move for a minute (like stunned) but she will soon get up, do her business, maybe grab a bite to eat and drink, and likely go right back to the nest.
Thanks. I may do that. She has drank and eaten very little. I haven't seen her off the nest atall. I know she must have been at some point as there was some pellets in her water. Just no poo. If she did one I'm sure I'd smell it.

Thanks. I may do that. She has drank and eaten very little. I haven't seen her off the nest atall. I know she must have been at some point as there was some pellets in her water. Just no poo. If she did one I'm sure I'd smell it.

The last day or two or three, she may not get up at all, when the eggs are due, I wouldn’t move her then. But up until then, once they are committed to sitting, I think it’s safe to move them if they don’t eat and drink. And poop. :D

Epsom salt works like a laxative in ducks, if they drink it. I would assume it would have similar affect in pigeons? @Pyxis do you know?
I use a little Borax occasionally.

Yes, it works as a laxative in all animals :) That's because it works by replacing magnesium in the body and increasing water in the intestines

Well that worked! She had some food and water had a leg stretch and made the loudest squawk ever! Eggs were warm and nice and clean. Wanna know how to empty a room in less than 3 seconds?
She had the biggest poo ever and dead things don't smell this bad! :yesss:
sickbyc.gif
:sick:sick:sickView attachment 1678505 We pre-empted and put her on a towel!
:lau gross! :sick
Id say the poor girl feels much more comfortable tho! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom