Pigeon Talk

Pics
No idea- many pigeon books are not very good. Be skeptical. I learned most of what I know online. Lot of misinformation there but if you have some basic knowledge of animals, birds, science, etc its fairly easy to sift thru and find the useful, accurate stuff. :D

I was thinking the same. :highfive:
I have all you wonderful pigeon peeps!
I wouldn’t mind finding a good breed/breeding book, maybe down the road some day. Depending on where this foray takes me. :p

Yay, another pigeon convert! I would add that mine have needed regular bird calcium supplements, especially the females (egg layers). It's a powder you can sprinkle on their seed, or mix with water & squirt into their beaks if an emergency. My girls have gone lame occasionally. They revived back to normal with emergency calcium for a few days. Now I have to remember to give it to them more regularly, along with grit. I feed mine a commercial pigeon seed mix. And if their run/coop has chicken wire, the holes are too big to keep predators from reaching in and grabbing them. Maybe my male is a little foolhardy. He bumped up against the chicken wire (presumably to scare them off) & let the predator take a chunk out of him! Luckily he survived and has lived a nice long life (15+ years so far).Hardware cloth keeps them safe. Darn, I sound like a terrible pigeon mother after these mishaps, but these happened early on and I learned over time.

Yay, another pigeon convert! I would add that mine have needed regular bird calcium supplements, especially the females (egg layers). It's a powder you can sprinkle on their seed, or mix with water & squirt into their beaks if an emergency. My girls have gone lame occasionally. They revived back to normal with emergency calcium for a few days. Now I have to remember to give it to them more regularly, along with grit. I feed mine a commercial pigeon seed mix. And if their run/coop has chicken wire, the holes are too big to keep predators from reaching in and grabbing them. Maybe my male is a little foolhardy. He bumped up against the chicken wire (presumably to scare them off) & let the predator take a chunk out of him! Luckily he survived and has lived a nice long life (15+ years so far).Hardware cloth keeps them safe. Darn, I sound like a terrible pigeon mother after these mishaps, but these happened early on and I learned over time.

Thank you so much for sharing!

I'll look for the calcium next time I'm out.

At this point, I still have them in a cage that I built. Hardware cloth all around. I currently have it sitting on top of a chicken grow-out box (no grow-outs at the moment) and up against my wood shop. We are still planning the long-term arrangements, loft, etc. once I feel like I have a good understanding of their long-term needs. I maybe put the cart before the horse sometimes. lol

I saw that exact book in my pet store on the shelf!! I picked it up, but it was $9.99 ($15.95 on that link, so maybe different book) but I decided not to get it until I looked for it online. Not a bad price, but its kinda thin, so I wasn't sure it would be worth it.
The writing was probably really really small!
No idea- many pigeon books are not very good. Be skeptical. I learned most of what I know online. Lot of misinformation there but if you have some basic knowledge of animals, birds, science, etc its fairly easy to sift thru and find the useful, accurate stuff. :D
I think books are good if they are upto date and you like reading but the best way to learn is from talking to people like here! You gals and guys helped me so much with alot more invaluable information in real time than any book ever could. For any body that doesn't know, I had no experience with pigeons at all apart from feeding them a few crumbs down the park. In the past 6/7 months you have helped and guided and reassured me when things don't quite go to plan! Sorry to go on but you peeps are the bees knees!

:frow Glad you joind us! :love
Thanks for sharing.. it helps us all! :highfive:

Hiya! 15yrs is good! I hope mine will be here that long! They may outlive me!

Thank you so much for sharing!

I'll look for the calcium next time I'm out.

At this point, I still have them in a cage that I built. Hardware cloth all around. I currently have it sitting on top of a chicken grow-out box (no grow-outs at the moment) and up against my wood shop. We are still planning the long-term arrangements, loft, etc. once I feel like I have a good understanding of their long-term needs. I maybe put the cart before the horse sometimes. lol
Cart before the horse.. isnt that how its done?? :D

Back
Top Bottom