Pigeon Talk

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by WVduckchick, Oct 9, 2018.

1. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I was thinking the same. :highfive:
    I have all you wonderful pigeon peeps!
    I wouldn’t mind finding a good breed/breeding book, maybe down the road some day. Depending on where this foray takes me. :p

2. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    There is a good (expensive) one. When I come across it again I'll make a note for you.

3. Ptera

Ptera Songster

Oct 9, 2017
    Maryland
    Yay, another pigeon convert! I would add that mine have needed regular bird calcium supplements, especially the females (egg layers). It's a powder you can sprinkle on their seed, or mix with water & squirt into their beaks if an emergency. My girls have gone lame occasionally. They revived back to normal with emergency calcium for a few days. Now I have to remember to give it to them more regularly, along with grit. I feed mine a commercial pigeon seed mix. And if their run/coop has chicken wire, the holes are too big to keep predators from reaching in and grabbing them. Maybe my male is a little foolhardy. He bumped up against the chicken wire (presumably to scare them off) & let the predator take a chunk out of him! Luckily he survived and has lived a nice long life (15+ years so far).Hardware cloth keeps them safe. Darn, I sound like a terrible pigeon mother after these mishaps, but these happened early on and I learned over time.

4. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds!

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Thank you so much for sharing!

I'll look for the calcium next time I'm out.

At this point, I still have them in a cage that I built. Hardware cloth all around. I currently have it sitting on top of a chicken grow-out box (no grow-outs at the moment) and up against my wood shop. We are still planning the long-term arrangements, loft, etc. once I feel like I have a good understanding of their long-term needs. I maybe put the cart before the horse sometimes. lol

5. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    The writing was probably really really small!
    I think books are good if they are upto date and you like reading but the best way to learn is from talking to people like here! You gals and guys helped me so much with alot more invaluable information in real time than any book ever could. For any body that doesn't know, I had no experience with pigeons at all apart from feeding them a few crumbs down the park. In the past 6/7 months you have helped and guided and reassured me when things don't quite go to plan! Sorry to go on but you peeps are the bees knees!

6. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    :frow Glad you joind us! :love
    Thanks for sharing.. it helps us all! :highfive:

7. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    Hiya! 15yrs is good! I hope mine will be here that long! They may outlive me!

8. biophiliac

biophiliac Traveler in BYCLand

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    Hope they arrive in good shape. Maybe have some electrolite powder on hand jic? :fl

9. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Beyond Poultry Dome

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    Cart before the horse.. isnt that how its done?? :D

10. CCUK

CCUK Free Flying

Jan 21, 2018
    North Notts, UK
    My Coop
    I had a pigeon first! Then came the loft!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: