Pigeon Talk

Pics
Hope they arrive in good shape. Maybe have some electrolite powder on hand jic? :fl

They made it!

3RL0hj4T-NcVa5qxE4psHxOR2Pslrop0vmuLgU1itvmz9PvHcdC2Q5uZPhprDSytmIymz304_jeOFp2tnS8LeDaehQJxo1JM0LoxHx1HJ6m8WY3WVhAq6n2zod0ADkmFvtISjkyLCvXdUepgyGKrDIVgpfeygCLZWOukADQinBLuNDC9YYyO5OHWm-m_YKL98CMZzgQ2V5c7MSuqU-IWh9XF5QkHmEc9R-1C-aT3hX01jt11Kt1zBSgnYTsufYqCMauX92NfRbFKK44A19K7OCPwGc8f5Vnai3N3phZlTGifW0hq4V8XC53eHrW1vfQwhVGvWxeV-6FaJkHfsDGESm0vtxebnYWfhwOLN8kDx_iJaJjUP8yyb8EdZvzY1uBmUYmzhZWezYaYMpQXbM2XAJRUJ1sJ0vyBp5-sM6WrrElpOIvCcfwgU3B1SR4nJ9kDxZGM9Rg001AW9RhYUSEhvEsQ5EitdeGv0Tj0yCTLUbx-h5115anKJx1kZFJshgL4GIdjRQtBSMdQgqakt-Pn11D83G_MXNzTajs5bt5as2tj_boC8lqL-fQwVPHHbfFJ7n_gz90HPlq8dC07ZhmIZabo5dLlnK2ngO0bPaljisZMC_QjQs9Hclv7Yo1kevU=w1142-h657-no

Though I am very suspicious that the almond on the left is a male, and the two others are hens. It was supposed to be that the two almonds were hens and the blue was a cock.

They made it!

3RL0hj4T-NcVa5qxE4psHxOR2Pslrop0vmuLgU1itvmz9PvHcdC2Q5uZPhprDSytmIymz304_jeOFp2tnS8LeDaehQJxo1JM0LoxHx1HJ6m8WY3WVhAq6n2zod0ADkmFvtISjkyLCvXdUepgyGKrDIVgpfeygCLZWOukADQinBLuNDC9YYyO5OHWm-m_YKL98CMZzgQ2V5c7MSuqU-IWh9XF5QkHmEc9R-1C-aT3hX01jt11Kt1zBSgnYTsufYqCMauX92NfRbFKK44A19K7OCPwGc8f5Vnai3N3phZlTGifW0hq4V8XC53eHrW1vfQwhVGvWxeV-6FaJkHfsDGESm0vtxebnYWfhwOLN8kDx_iJaJjUP8yyb8EdZvzY1uBmUYmzhZWezYaYMpQXbM2XAJRUJ1sJ0vyBp5-sM6WrrElpOIvCcfwgU3B1SR4nJ9kDxZGM9Rg001AW9RhYUSEhvEsQ5EitdeGv0Tj0yCTLUbx-h5115anKJx1kZFJshgL4GIdjRQtBSMdQgqakt-Pn11D83G_MXNzTajs5bt5as2tj_boC8lqL-fQwVPHHbfFJ7n_gz90HPlq8dC07ZhmIZabo5dLlnK2ngO0bPaljisZMC_QjQs9Hclv7Yo1kevU=w1142-h657-no

Though I am very suspicious that the almond on the left is a male, and the two others are hens. It was supposed to be that the two almonds were hens and the blue was a cock.
So happy for you:wootSo hard to tell gender. The one in the middle has the more feminine head. Behavior should tell you something.:)

They made it!

I can see why you suspect that, hopefully looks are just deceiving.
Beautiful birds! :love

I have racing homers, and I love them. They bring me a ton of joy watching them go about their business (they're quite funny) and flying around my yard and neighborhood. I also really enjoy the husbandry aspect of caring for them and watching them thrive.

Knowing you have kept chickens and ducks in the past, here are a handful of things to keep in mind with pigeons that are very different from chickens and ducks:
  1. Pigeons drink by sticking their entire beak into water and sucking the water up like a straw. As such, they need at least an inch of water depth to comfortably be able to drink.
  2. Unlike ducks and chickens, pigeons are pretty much strictly herbivores. I wouldn't rule out one deciding he wants to eat a meal worm, but meat is not necessary to them, and it is very unlikely they'll eat it anyways. They do, however, LOVE greens, such as romaine lettuce, parsley and dandelion leaves. When you cannot offer them that on occasion, a side dish of rabbit pellets made only of alfalfa will address their craving.
  3. They reproduce like bunnies. They will not stop, unless you stop them. Use fake eggs as birth control, or, better yet, keep the sexes separate.
  4. They mate for life, and they share duties in incubating, brooding and raising young. Typically, the hen sets on eggs or squabs until about 10am, when the cock bird takes over until mid to late afternoon, then the hen gets back on through the night. Cock bird takes day shift. Gay/lesbian pairings are not terribly uncommon. You know they're gay when they mate but don't lay eggs, and you know they're lesbians when they mate and lay 4 infertile eggs.
  5. Although I will acknowledge that chickens and ducks are much smarter than how most people perceive them, pigeons are much smarter than chickens and ducks. Go read about what they are capable of on the cognitive end. You will be impressed, and it will make you appreciate them more, and will help you be prepared to deal with them on somethings. For example, my pigeons have learned how to unlock the four barrel bolts that keep their door to their aviary closed when the wind is blowing the wrong way.
Enjoy! They are incredible birds!

I have racing homers, and I love them. They bring me a ton of joy watching them go about their business (they're quite funny) and flying around my yard and neighborhood. I also really enjoy the husbandry aspect of caring for them and watching them thrive.

Knowing you have kept chickens and ducks in the past, here are a handful of things to keep in mind with pigeons that are very different from chickens and ducks:
  1. Pigeons drink by sticking their entire beak into water and sucking the water up like a straw. As such, they need at least an inch of water depth to comfortably be able to drink.
  2. Unlike ducks and chickens, pigeons are pretty much strictly herbivores. I wouldn't rule out one deciding he wants to eat a meal worm, but meat is not necessary to them, and it is very unlikely they'll eat it anyways. They do, however, LOVE greens, such as romaine lettuce, parsley and dandelion leaves. When you cannot offer them that on occasion, a side dish of rabbit pellets made only of alfalfa will address their craving.
  3. They reproduce like bunnies. They will not stop, unless you stop them. Use fake eggs as birth control, or, better yet, keep the sexes separate.
  4. They mate for life, and they share duties in incubating, brooding and raising young. Typically, the hen sets on eggs or squabs until about 10am, when the cock bird takes over until mid to late afternoon, then the hen gets back on through the night. Cock bird takes day shift. Gay/lesbian pairings are not terribly uncommon. You know they're gay when they mate but don't lay eggs, and you know they're lesbians when they mate and lay 4 infertile eggs.
  5. Although I will acknowledge that chickens and ducks are much smarter than how most people perceive them, pigeons are much smarter than chickens and ducks. Go read about what they are capable of on the cognitive end. You will be impressed, and it will make you appreciate them more, and will help you be prepared to deal with them on somethings. For example, my pigeons have learned how to unlock the four barrel bolts that keep their door to their aviary closed when the wind is blowing the wrong way.
Enjoy! They are incredible birds!
:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom