Pigeon Talk

Pics
Just wanted to pop in here and drop a few things I know:

I know a person in Michigan who breeds pigeons. He lets them nest anywhere they want. Most of them prefer his duck shed in the roof trusses. They get along fine with the ducks. He keeps Muscovy's, calls, and common mallard types. They all get along fine.

https://www.strombergschickens.com/category/Pigeons
I once bought a pair of Show Pigeons from them. They arrived a live and were really nice. They too lived with my ducks and got along nicely. Only problem I had with them was their pooping on my ducks at night lock up.
:goodpost:
Good to know! I don't think I wanna be cleaning pigeon poop off of my palace trusses tho. :hmm
I bet a pigeon would love my set up. But I can imagine it would be horribly messy :rolleyes:

I have racing homers, and I love them. They bring me a ton of joy watching them go about their business (they're quite funny) and flying around my yard and neighborhood. I also really enjoy the husbandry aspect of caring for them and watching them thrive.

Knowing you have kept chickens and ducks in the past, here are a handful of things to keep in mind with pigeons that are very different from chickens and ducks:
  1. Pigeons drink by sticking their entire beak into water and sucking the water up like a straw. As such, they need at least an inch of water depth to comfortably be able to drink.
  2. Unlike ducks and chickens, pigeons are pretty much strictly herbivores. I wouldn't rule out one deciding he wants to eat a meal worm, but meat is not necessary to them, and it is very unlikely they'll eat it anyways. They do, however, LOVE greens, such as romaine lettuce, parsley and dandelion leaves. When you cannot offer them that on occasion, a side dish of rabbit pellets made only of alfalfa will address their craving.
  3. They reproduce like bunnies. They will not stop, unless you stop them. Use fake eggs as birth control, or, better yet, keep the sexes separate.
  4. They mate for life, and they share duties in incubating, brooding and raising young. Typically, the hen sets on eggs or squabs until about 10am, when the cock bird takes over until mid to late afternoon, then the hen gets back on through the night. Cock bird takes day shift. Gay/lesbian pairings are not terribly uncommon. You know they're gay when they mate but don't lay eggs, and you know they're lesbians when they mate and lay 4 infertile eggs.
  5. Although I will acknowledge that chickens and ducks are much smarter than how most people perceive them, pigeons are much smarter than chickens and ducks. Go read about what they are capable of on the cognitive end. You will be impressed, and it will make you appreciate them more, and will help you be prepared to deal with them on somethings. For example, my pigeons have learned how to unlock the four barrel bolts that keep their door to their aviary closed when the wind is blowing the wrong way.
Enjoy! They are incredible birds!
:goodpost:

Whilst on the subject of poop, I have a mesh floor in my loft and it works great until they molt. Now what is happening is the feathers are getting pooped on and it turns into a bit of a tangled mess stuck around the mesh. A bit of a pain to clean. I'm thinking of putting a board down whilst they finish molting so I can just scrape it up rather than pick it out if the floor!

Whilst on the subject of poop, I have a mesh floor in my loft and it works great until they molt. Now what is happening is the feathers are getting pooped on and it turns into a bit of a tangled mess stuck around the mesh. A bit of a pain to clean. I'm thinking of putting a board down whilst they finish molting so I can just scrape it up rather than pick it out if the floor!

Oh I can imagine that, from the looks of my budgie cage :D
Somebody said they molt pretty much all the time, but I suppose they have a heavier molt also?
A board sounds like a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom